Re: [hreg] We all knew it was true...

  • Steven Shepard
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2003
      A&M just recently issued an RFP requesting bids on the installation of 16 solar modules and two wind generators on the roof of the Engineering & Science Building on main campus.   This renewable energy power system will be used by faculty and students to study renewable energy potential in the South and East Texas regions.

      This is not A&M's first attempt to research renewable energy.  Hopefully it will not be the last.  In fact, in some ways it is reinvention of the wheel.  When I went to school there back in the early eighties the Mechanical Engineering Department erected a wind turbine out at the Engineering Extension at the old Air Force Base on Hwy 21.  I was not directly involved in that project but several of my fellow students were and I followed their work closely.  Results were disappointing because College Station is not really a good area for wind and the product they put up left a lot to be desired.  This turbine was dismantled a few years later.  I travel 21 at least four times a year and I miss seeing the turning blades from the highway.

      Early this year West Texas A&M put up a large wind energy system on their campus.  While study continues the main problem with this project is that the product was bought out of state and constructed with foreign labor.  The issue I have (as a vendor) with this project is that it made little or no contribution to the Texas economy and does not help to feed Texas families.

      There is no reason why state run colleges, agencies and facilities cannot conduct this kind of business in the state and make a positive contribution to the Texas renewable energy industry.

      We are moving November 2003.
      Our new address is:
      SBT Designs
      25581 IH-10 West