NEWS RELEASE: Coalition Urges EPA to Expand Sustainable Energy Initiatives

  • Tom Gray
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      From: "Ken Bossong" <kbossong@...>
      Subject: NEWS RELEASE: Coalition Urges EPA to Expand Sustainable Energy
      Initiatives
      Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:13:47 +0000

      SUSTAINABLE ENERGY COALITION
      1612 "K" Street, N.W.
      Suite #202-A
      Washington, DC 20006
      202-293-2898, ext.201; fax: 202-293-5857
      http://www.sustainableenergy.org

      TWENTY-FIVE ORGANIZATIONS URGE NEW ADMINISTRATOR TO GREATLY EXPAND
      ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY'S ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND RENEWABLE ENERGY
      PROGRAMS

      For Release: Tuesday - December 2, 2003

      Contact: Ken Bossong 202-293-2898, ext.201

      WASHINGTON DC -- In a letter delivered today to the office of Mike Leavitt,
      newly-installed Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
      twenty-five member groups of the Sustainable Energy Coalition called upon
      him to greatly expand the agency's sustainable energy programs.

      "Since most of our environmental problems are caused by our energy use, the
      role played by the EPA in aggressively reducing pollution in every sector
      is critical," according to the signers. "[Consequently,] a number of
      [EPA's] energy-related initiatives ... should not only be continued but
      strengthened and expanded."

      Notably, the letter urged that the EPA seek to establish its Energy Star
      program as a separate line-item within the EPA budget and "propose annual
      funding increases of 10% beginning in 2005 and continuing through 2008."

      It also encourages the EPA "to actively implement the Combined Heat and
      Power Partnership" while recommending that "the Smart Travel Resource
      Center and the annual publication of the Fuel Economy Guide data for new
      automobiles ... likewise be continued but supplemented by new efforts to
      substantially curb transportation fuel use."

      The letter's signers called upon EPA "to examine new opportunities through
      which EPA can promote the cross-section of renewable energy technologies in
      addition to its current Renewable Energy Modeling Series and the Green
      Power Partnership [such as] using renewable energy in all EPA facilities,
      employing biomass-based phytoremediation technologies for waste clean-up,
      and clearing the way for 22% ethanol automotive blends to help address
      evaporative emissions concerns."

      Finally, the groups urged Administrator Leavitt to "take the lead in
      designing and helping to implement a more ambitious goal for the
      administration's carbon intensity policy, which, in its current
      configuration, will likely allow actual emissions to increase by 14 percent
      over the next decade."

      The full text of the letter and the list of signers follows below.

      # # # # #

      The Sustainable Energy Coalition is a coalition of 65 national and
      state-level business, environmental, consumer, and energy policy
      organizations which collectively represent several thousand companies,
      municipal utilities, and community organizations. Founded in 1992, the
      coalition works to promote increased use of energy efficient and renewable
      energy techologies.

      ==================================

      SUSTAINABLE ENERGY COALITION
      1612 "K" Street, N.W.
      Suite #202-A
      Washington, DC 20006
      202-293-2898, ext.201; fax: 202-293-5857
      http://www.sustainableenergy.org

      December 2, 2003

      Mike Leavitt, Administrator
      U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
      Ariel Rios Building
      1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
      Washington, DC 20460

      Dear Administrator Leavitt:

      We the undersigned business, consumer, environmental, and energy policy
      organizations are writing to urge that you actively support and promote
      energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies as solutions to the
      nation's myriad environmental, public health, and energy import problems.

      While primary leadership on energy policy issues rests with the U.S.
      Department of Energy, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) either
      cooperates on, or has assumed a leadership role for, a number of
      energy-related initiatives that we believe should not only be continued but
      strengthened and expanded. Moreover, since most of our environmental
      problems are caused by our energy use, the role played by the EPA in
      aggressively reducing pollution in every sector is critical.

      Perhaps foremost among these is EPA's Energy Star program, which helps
      businesses and individuals reduce pollution and energy costs through the
      purchase of energy-efficient appliances, air conditioners, heating systems,
      refrigerators, computers, and other items as well as encourages the
      construction of energy-efficient homes and offices.

      According to the government's own figures, last year alone, Americans, with
      the help of Energy Star (including the Ag Star program), saved enough
      energy to power 10 million homes and avoid greenhouse gas emissions from 12
      million cars - all while saving $6 billion.

      Unfortunately, this program has recently been a target for funding
      cuts. We consequently urge you to demonstrate your strong commitment to
      protecting and enhancing this program. Specifically, we recommend that the
      EPA seek to establish this program as a separate line-item within the EPA
      budget and propose annual funding increases of 10% beginning in 2005 and
      continuing through 2008.

      Likewise, we urge you to actively implement the Combined Heat and Power
      Partnership, which works with industry, state and local governments,
      universities, and other institutional users to facilitate the development
      of efficient combined heat and power projects and has set a goal of
      doubling national CHP capacity by 2010.

      Other programs that promote improved fuel efficiency, such as the Smart
      Travel Resource Center and the annual publication of the Fuel Economy Guide
      data for new automobiles, should likewise be continued but supplemented by
      new efforts to substantially curb transportation fuel use, including a
      review of EPA's CAFE testing procedures.

      Along the same lines, we encourage you to examine new opportunities through
      which EPA can promote the cross-section of renewable energy technologies in
      addition to its current Renewable Energy Modeling Series and the Green
      Power Partnership. The latter enlists commercial, nonprofit, and public
      organizations to purchase a portion of their power as renewable energy,
      thereby reducing the emissions associated with power generation.

      Additional initiatives might include using renewable energy in all EPA
      facilities, employing biomass-based phytoremediation technologies for waste
      clean-up, and clearing the way for 22% ethanol automotive blends to help
      address evaporative emissions concerns.

      However, a far more ambitious and absolutely necessary priority for the EPA
      is that of climate change caused in large part by emissions of carbon
      dioxide. We therefore recommend that you take the lead in designing and
      helping to implement a more ambitious goal for the administration's carbon
      intensity policy, which, in its current configuration, will likely allow
      actual emissions to increase by 14 percent over the next decade.

      Finally, we urge you to reach out to the sustainable energy, environmental,
      and public health communities to solicit ideas on how to use energy
      efficiency and renewable energy technologies to meet the agency's goals.

      We appreciate your taking these views into consideration and would welcome
      the opportunity to meet with you to discuss them in further detail.

      Sincerely,

      Alliance for Affordable Energy
      Alliance to Save Energy
      American Bioenergy Association
      American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy
      American Solar Energy Society
      American Wind Energy Association
      Bob Lawrence & Associates
      Breakthrough Technologies, Inc.
      Cascade Associates
      Colorado Energy Group, Inc.
      Environmental & Energy Study Institute
      Environmental Law and Policy Center
      Good Company Associates
      Institute for Local Self-Reliance
      National Environmental Trust
      New Alternatives Fund Inc.
      New Uses Council
      Northwest Sustainable Energy for Economic Development
      Nuclear Information and Resource Service
      Pellet Fuels Institute
      Solar Energy Industries Association
      Strategic Clean Energy, LLC
      The Stella Group Ltd.
      Union of Concerned Scientists
      U.S. Combined Heat and Power Association
      Vermont Energy Investment Corporation