May meeting, and a reading list

  • achman@houston.rr.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2000
      I wanted to thank everyone again for the invitation to speak at this month's meeting. It was gratifying to see HREG up and running with vital and enthusiastic membership. From my experience with the Houston Solar Energy Society several years ago I know that this core group has the potential to offer a gathering point for renewables in the Houston area. The Texas Solar Energy Society is a worthy association and I know they will foster your efforts.

      One thing I would have added to my talk might have been the mention of good sources for further reading... so here are a few:

      Olgyay, Design with Climate
      Watson and Labs, Climatic Design
      Reynolds and Stein, Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings.

      The Reynolds and Stein text is what I teach from.. now in it's ninth edition. I studied from the fifth edition. It is the comprehensive desk reference for architects.

      In the fall, copies of my course notes (Bachman, Arch 3332, Environmental Systems One) are available from the UH copy center located in the main student center underground, entering from gate 1 on Calhoun. It contains a comprehensive reading list as well as design guidelines and procedures for passive and mechanical systems. I write it as a companion to the Reynolds and Stein text.

      I hope to see you all again soon !

      Leonard