Re: hydrogen

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2003
      Justin,
      Hydrogen sources in the refinery are the reformer/platformer and the FCC.
      Hydrogen sinks are the hydrocracker, isom units, naphtha hydrotreater,
      distillate hydrotreater, and FCC desulfurization. More hydrogen is needed
      due to specifications requiring lower sulfur gasoline and less aromatics, as
      well as from a trend in heavier crudes with more sulfur that require more
      cracking and treating. Up until now, there was a hydrogen balance, with the
      new regulations, up to 1/3 of the hydrogen needed will come from the
      outside. A couple of journals that have addressed the hydrogen balance are
      "Hydrocarbon Processing", "World Fuels" and "World Refining". Sorry, I
      don't have any specific articles at home. If you need further help, I can
      look them up for you.

      I have thought about it quite a bit. Most refineries are on the coast, and
      could be supplied electricity from off shore wind farms. Refineries produce
      or have access to "cheap" natural gas or fuel gas, which can be turned into
      hydrogen pretty cheaply by reforming. Electrolysis can be about 87%
      efficient (1.48V/1.7V) based on electric energy in and hydrogen energy out.
      The electrolyzer presents an enormous capical cost ~$10,000/kW, maybe $5,000
      with size economy. If a wind farm produced electricity, it seems to me more
      economical to just put the electricity on the grid (save more CO2 by
      exchanging with coal). If you do use electrolysis, what do you do with the
      oxygen produced, partial oxidation reforming? Keep thinking...I'm still
      interested.

      Regards,
      Chris (using Roxanne's email account)