Re: [hreg] Workshops and threads

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2000
      "Ewert, Mike" wrote:

      > Q: When you say "Based on the strict current limited requirements of that
      > small internal battery", do you mean that a normal charge controller set on
      > either sealed or flooded would allow the voltage to go too high or low?

      The charge controller I bought was almost the same one on that electric car, a
      24V, 20A unit by Morningstar.. The two solar panels I have can charge my battery
      bank at 5.25 amps at the most. For maximum life, you limit the maximum charge
      current of a lead-acid battery to the C/20 rate, which is the amp-hour rating of
      the battery divided by 20. My set of golf car batteries have 220 Ah, so the C/20
      rate is 11 amps and thus cannot be overcharged by my panels. But the internal
      battery of the mower is 17 Ah, with a C/20 rate of .85 amp. So connecting the
      same controller/panel setup would result in shortened battery life and probable
      battery failure due to overcharging. The solution is to limit the charging
      current, which is why they selected a power cube for the mower with a max output
      of .8 amps. It limits itself. For the time being, I'll just use the factory
      power cube and run it off of the inverter.

      James