RE: [hreg] Grid revisions

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 18, 2003
      Reminds me of the '82 world's fair in Tennessee. The theme was power, and
      the Chinese exhibit showed how in rural areas methane was tapped from
      compost heaps to light lamps and stoves in farmers' homes.
      As I recall, the Chinese exhibit was the most popular one at the fair: they
      had the good sense to put the actual energy-related stuff in one corner of
      their exhibit, and filled the rest with cultural artifacts. Proving, I
      guess, that people aren't really interested in energy if they don't have to
      be (like when they're in the middle of a massive blackout).

      Paul

      -------------------------------------
      O give me a home,
      Where the buffalo roam,
      Where the deer and the antelope play,
      Where seldom is heard
      A discouraging word,
      'Cause what can an antelope say?
      -------------------------------------
    • Michael Christie
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 18, 2003
        Now there is a good solution to the question of a "product that would help a
        New Yorker living on an old second floor, north facing apartment in a 20
        story highrise surrounded by other 20 story highrises on all four sides."
        New York has plenty of garbage! A new market for home-sized methane
        digesters!

        Michael

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050641
        77:HM/A=1693352/R=0/SIG=11tralmvc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178
        293&partid=3170658> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1693352/rand=349811020>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        -------------------------------------
        O give me a home,
        Where the buffalo roam,
        Where the deer and the antelope play,
        Where seldom is heard
        A discouraging word,
        'Cause what can an antelope say?
      • Jim & Janet Duncan
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 18, 2003
          Han wrote:
          If you have ever looked at a solar energy map, the part of the USA that receives the most solar radiation is the Southwest (200 to 250 Watts per square meter on average anually
          Yes it's true the sun shines more hours in the south than up north, it still shines there.
          According to the NREL, the amount of sun in Houston vs.the amount of sun in NYC is:
          "Solar radiation for 1-axis tracking flat-plate collectors with a N-S axis (kWh/m2/day)"
          NYC average for 1 year with the PV array tilted to Lat. 40.78 N = 5.6  kWh/m2/day
          Houston average for 1 year with the PV array tilted to Lat. 29.98 N = 6.0  kWh/m2/day
          Fort Worth average for 1 year with the PV array tilted to Lat. 29.98 N = 6.9  kWh/m2/day
          Go figure.
          The concept of Distributed Generation is what makes the difference. Having PV systems working during the day, say at 10,000 homes in the state of NY, the power NOT taken from the grid during the 'peak load' hours is equal to the amount that is used from the 10,000 systems. Say 10kW per day.
          When all those folks come home from work and turn on the stuff that runs off their system, there is that much less demand on the grid. Even if the homeowners only use 5 kW of that power during the peak use time and into the evening, that's a tenth of a megawatt. Probably not enough to stop the blackout from happening, but enough to make a difference in the big picture.
          Anyway, overload wasn't the cause. FirstEnergy had a history of bad management, poor maintainance and was the company that owns the nuclear reactor that was shut down because the boric acid had eaten thru the 6 in steel plate in the reactor core earlier this year.
          Jim Duncan
          North Texas Renewable Energy Inc.
          Fort Worth
        • John Miggins
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 18, 2003
            Good point, I wonder who owns the transmission grid?  Is it not private enterprise, the utilities although regulated they are a for profit enterprises that should have to maintain their own "Assets".  I would look for the usual political hay about this to get some porkbarrel projects put through or drilling in Alaska.  Only by having truly localized and distributed power will we ever be free.  this not need be a large system, in fact a homeowner in NY could invest a few hundred dollars in batteries and a charger and inverter that is charged by the grid but there when it goes down for key circuits like lighting, refrig. etc...

            This could be coupled with solar panels if wanted but not necessary.    Just a thought.

            I have a similiar system the Solar Harvester that is portable and quite good.

            Good discussion.

            John Miggins
            Harvest Solar and Wind Power
            1571 East 22 Place
            Tulsa, OK 74114
            918-743-2299 phone/fax
            918-809-7223 cell

            I agree with your comments about the blackout being a distribution problem.

            According to what I have been told, Texas has it's own relatively isolated grid system. It seems to me that if congress should decide to fund upgrading of the northwestern grid or, as you suggest, a fully upgraded system, we here in Texas would end up paying for something we may not need. Does anyone know just how good the Texas system is? I know that it is not adequate to transmit all the wind farm production from northwest Texas, and there is a project to build more lines for that purpose. Rebuilding the grid system in the Northwest is going to be a hugely expensive enterprise.

            Michael