Re: From scarcity, good news

  • mark r. johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2003
      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:

      > I'm curious about your take on the concept of a non-biogenic origin of
      > hydrocarbons, ie. the idea that hydrocarbons originated from deep
      within the
      > earth, not from masses of biological sediment?

      Paul, I have heard about some theories of non-biological hydrocarbon
      sources, and I would love to hear some persuasive evidence in favor of
      them. But at present my best estimate is this is a major folly.

      Perpetually we hear of various novel theories which would prove
      revolutionary if true. I regard that as a recurring human weirdness.
      While I intend to remain open-minded, I think it's perfectly OK to be
      insistent that we see some persuasive evidence, and as far as I know
      the great majority of evidence tells us our oil and gas is of
      biological origin.

      Much as I'd like to believe there are vast non-conventional sources, I
      have to conclude that the conventional petroleum geologists basically
      have their theories right.

      Hope this helps -- C44
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2003
        I heard a blurb on NPR, I believe it was, some time ago, where a
        consultant was talking about the work he's doing with the Russians to
        successfully find new oil using these concepts.

        There was also a blurb in Chemical and Engineering News awhile back in
        which at least the possibility of such a process was suggested by
        laboratory work using carbonates and high pressure.

        Robert Johnston

        One month FREE spam protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/}

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/