Wanted: Solar Whackos!

  • Chuck Wright
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 5:55 AM
      All,

      I am attempting to put together as many as possible
      "unusual" solar applications for presentation at the
      Roundup in Fredericksburg, this September.

      If you have something that you are doing with solar
      that is out of the ordinary, I would very much like to
      hear about it. It may be practical, impractical, fun,
      or strange.

      For example, last year, Bruce Sterling was attempting
      to send aloft a solar blimp (the French have successfully
      lofted a human in a solar heated hot air balloon, by the
      way).

      Two notions that I have are a solar powered kiln for
      ceramics (2000F required!) and a PV powered
      model airplane.

      Anyone else doing fun things with the sun? Let's talk.

      Many Thanks,
      - C

      --
      Chuck Wright
      http://www.chuck-wright.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 10:47 AM
        hello chuck

        we are in process of building new office warehouse and designing a mini water
        chilled unit, similar to large scale commercial. will be able to use for homes
        eventually, going to incorporate solar to increase efficiency

        also designing LED landcape lighting, solar water fountain, etc.

        larry weber

        Naturallighting.com

        Chuck Wright wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > I am attempting to put together as many as possible
        > "unusual" solar applications for presentation at the
        > Roundup in Fredericksburg, this September.
        >
        > If you have something that you are doing with solar
        > that is out of the ordinary, I would very much like to
        > hear about it. It may be practical, impractical, fun,
        > or strange.
        >
        > For example, last year, Bruce Sterling was attempting
        > to send aloft a solar blimp (the French have successfully
        > lofted a human in a solar heated hot air balloon, by the
        > way).
        >
        > Two notions that I have are a solar powered kiln for
        > ceramics (2000F required!) and a PV powered
        > model airplane.
        >
        > Anyone else doing fun things with the sun? Let's talk.
        >
        > Many Thanks,
        > - C
        >
        > --
        > Chuck Wright
        > http://www.chuck-wright.com

      • deviant
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7 9:49 PM
          In addition to my more "normal" usage of charging my Segway,
          Robomower and Roomba vacuum with PV, I'm contemplating evaporating
          sea salt from Gulf water with a parabolic dish. (experimental
          quantities only)

          Is that weird enough?

          -Greg
          -Deviant
          -just a wee bit off kilter

          > I am attempting to put together as many as possible
          > "unusual" solar applications for presentation at the
          > Roundup in Fredericksburg, this September.
          >
          > If you have something that you are doing with solar
          > that is out of the ordinary, I would very much like to
          > hear about it. It may be practical, impractical, fun,
          > or strange.

        • Eli Loya
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8 5:35 PM
            I am going to be moving out of state. I have enjoyed being on the listserv,
            but can you take me off now? Thanks!
            erl