Solar for orphanage update

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2003
      Things have been moving slowly on our HREG project to donate some solar
      panels to the orphanage in Kenya, but we have not forgotten about it.

      We have collected about $1000 for Cherish Our Children to buy the solar
      system we designed at our meeting. It's cost is $2000 from Southwest PV
      plus $1000 in Kenya for installation and batteries (not counting shipping or
      appliances). Also, the group is still waiting for their non-profit status
      in Kenya, which we want before anything is shipped.

      So, unless there are any objections from the group, we have a new plan. I
      talked with Carol Hidinger of Cherish Our Children and we decided that HREG
      would donate one of the battery free solar refrigerators developed at NASA
      plus solar panels. This would cost about $2000 total if we get reasonable
      shipping. This is what I told you our original fundraising goal was.

      The logic here is that if we donate the "NASA" solar refrigerator, Cherish
      Our Children (and HREG) may be able to get some good press that will lead to
      further donations to the charity from others. Then, they would have enough
      money to buy a solar electric system for the computer and TV/VCR.

      So, if you have not been a part of this good will project but would like to,
      please send your tax deductible donations to:
      Cherish Our Children International
      P.O. Box 540007
      Houston, TX 77254 Mark it for Orphanage Solar.

      Thank you very much!

      P.S. If anyone has a laptop computer that runs on 12 volts that you are
      willing to donate to the orphanage, please let us know.