Workshops and threads

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2000
      Hi,

      I would like to suggest a topic for a thread. I would like to
      understand more about net metering. I know the the group in Austin has
      it on the web site, but like many such sites, it does not answer basic
      questions. Could we possibly have a net metering for dummies?
      Something in the practical range of if I normally pay x for electricity,
      how long would it take to pay off a PV system that costs y and has no
      batteries? Some batteries?

      My husband and I are working on two workshops right now. The first one
      is alternative building methods with the emphasis on picking the right
      one for your area. This is not just the climate but what is available
      to build with. If we can prevent unnecessary burning of building
      materials and use them instead, the gains are financial as well as
      environmental.

      The second is fire control. This is directed mainly at rural people and
      against grass and brush fires. It includes a garbage fence [nothing
      that can be recycled] and proper plants, as in firescaping that has
      become so popular in California.

      I am still interested in solar cooking but find that the wind is a major
      problem. I would like to correspond with anyone who is doing solar
      cooking, but at present I cannot join another group in Houston.

      Kim Travis