Re: [hreg] spam

  • David M. Eggleston
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 19, 2003
      Kin & Garth,

      I continue monitoring hreg. I also use the delete key for spam. As with
      Roy, a moderator might be a good idea.

      David Eggleston
      Midland

      Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

      > Lately we are getting a spam and pornography showing up on the list. I am
      > wondering how the members feel about this issue. Do you want the list
      > changed to a moderated membership? This would mean that one of the
      > moderators would have to approve anyone wishing to join the list. So far,
      > I have just been un-subscribing such members. Please let me know how you
      > feel about this issue.
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim Travis
      > List Owner

    • Andrew McCalla
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 19, 2003
        I agree with Roy.

        >Lately we are getting a spam and pornography showing up on the list. I
        am
        >wondering how the members feel about this issue. Do you want the list
        >changed to a moderated membership? This would mean that one of the
        >moderators would have to approve anyone wishing to join the list. So
        far,
        >I have just been un-subscribing such members. Please let me know how
        you
        >feel about this issue.
        >Bright Blessings,
        >Kim Travis
        >List Owner

        it does not bother or offend me, I read it with the del key.
        my experience is that the spam will accelerate and get bad real fast.
        They sell info to each other, so once it starts the growth is
        exponential.
        It could soon be that there is more spam than real list posts.
        A moderator would be a good idea.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • C. Terry Ross
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 19, 2003
          Anything to prevent the pornography!!

          Terry

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 20, 2003
            I agree that moderated membership is a good idea.
            The fact that it's porn isn't what bothers me - just the existance of
            spam is more annoying than the content.
            There is one Yahoo group I joined where 90% of the postings were spam
            of all kinds. Eventually all the legit members quit and the group
            died.

            tip of the day: if the member name is a random string of letters,
            like "jkdhruh" then it's probably a spammer.

            RMS

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@t...> wrote:
            > Lately we are getting a spam and pornography showing up on the
            list. I am
            > wondering how the members feel about this issue. Do you want the
            list
            > changed to a moderated membership? This would mean that one of the
            > moderators would have to approve anyone wishing to join the list.
            So far,
            > I have just been un-subscribing such members. Please let me know
            how you
            > feel about this issue.
            > Bright Blessings,
            > Kim Travis
            > List Owner
          • Michael Christie
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 20, 2003
              Kim,

              The only thing that will get rid of the spammers is nuclear weapons (or
              maybe legislation, but even that is doubtful). I would support the change to
              a moderated membership. Anything to slow these freaks down.

              Michael Christie

              Lately we are getting a spam and pornography showing up on the list. I am
              wondering how the members feel about this issue. Do you want the list
              changed to a moderated membership? This would mean that one of the
              moderators would have to approve anyone wishing to join the list. So far,
              I have just been un-subscribing such members. Please let me know how you
              feel about this issue.
              Bright Blessings,
              Kim Travis
              List Owner

            • RadiosityRB@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 20, 2003
                Naturally I hate Spam as everyone else does, but you checking up on every new member is a tremendous amount of work for you. What criterion would use also, as a new member of the list I haven't seen that much of a problem. I am a member of a couple of other green lists though, that get no Spam. Spam is just like the junk mail we get in our snail mail box at home, anything that looks like garbage usually is, and I throw it away.
                       One of the other member mentioned about the series of letters like ghtmnbg is Spam but if you pay attention it can also be something like fhjjjuyurffg673592. I don't even waste my time. But I do love some of the titles, they try to get so creative. But I do hate to disappoint the spammers, with a voice as deep as mine is I just don't feel I would look better with larger breasts....
                Greg Anderson
              • jclem412@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 20, 2003
                  Hi. Wondering if Kim would be a good candidate for the moderator? Or how do
                  you get a moderator?

                  ~Diane Clemens
                • Kim & Garth Travis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 21, 2003
                    I appointed Mike to help me as moderator, since the list owner is
                    automacticaly a moderator. I have given Mike Ewert the power to create
                    other moderators as he thought necessary.
                    Kim Travis

                    At 12:06 AM 6/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Hi. Wondering if Kim would be a good candidate for the moderator? Or how do
                    >you get a moderator?
                    >
                    > ~Diane Clemens

                  • Kim & Garth Travis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 21, 2003
                      Well I do believe we are all in agreement, a moderated list is
                      preferred. Mike has agreed to the extra work load, as well as I am
                      willing. For now, we will just make it so we must approve a
                      membership. If this doesn't work, we will go to the process of making them
                      send us an email telling us why they want to join, then moderating their
                      postings for a while. I hope we do not have to go to the second option as
                      it is a workload for the moderator, but I want this list kept clean for the
                      whole family. Thanks to all who spoke up and gave us their opinions.
                      Bright Blessings,
                      Kim Travis
                      List Owner
                    • C.C. Foster
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 21, 2003
                        Please eliminate the perverts as soon as they are identified and confirmed
                        guilty. A short rope or an ounce of lead would probably be sufficient and
                        appropriate.

                        Claude

                        >From: Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                        >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [hreg] spam
                        >Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:35:27 -0500
                        >
                        >Lately we are getting a spam and pornography showing up on the list. I am
                        >wondering how the members feel about this issue. Do you want the list
                        >changed to a moderated membership? This would mean that one of the
                        >moderators would have to approve anyone wishing to join the list. So far,
                        >I have just been un-subscribing such members. Please let me know how you
                        >feel about this issue.
                        >Bright Blessings,
                        >Kim Travis
                        >List Owner

                      • Randy Scott
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 23, 2003
                          But, you could have a larger penis AND a lower mortgage rate....

                          RMS