FW: SEI RE workshop in Costa Rica, February 2004

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2003
      From: Ian Woofenden [mailto:ian.woofenden@...]
      Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 12:13 AM
      To: Recipient List Suppressed:
      Subject: SEI RE workshop in Costa Rica, February 2004

      We would appreciate a mention of this workshop in your newsletter and Web
      site.

      Solar Energy International presents a special opportunity to study
      renewable energy technology in a beautiful natural setting in Costa
      Rica! This workshop will be open to only 20 students, so register
      early.

      Renewable Energy for the Developing World -- Hands On
      Rancho Mastatal, Costa Rica
      Monday through Saturday, February 16-21, 2004
      Tuition: US$600

      Workshop Details
      This six-day workshop will include classroom sessions and labs, and
      will have a strong hands-on component. The workshop will focus on
      three main areas: solar electricity, solar hot water, and solar
      cooking. There will also be survey coverage of wind and
      hydro-electric systems, and the social and financial issues
      surrounding RE in the developing world. Our focus will be on simple
      system that work in the real-word conditions in less overdeveloped
      countries.

      The workshop will include:
      * 2 days focused on the design and installation of simple
      solar-electric systems, including installation of a small PV lighting
      system.
      * 2 days focused on solar hot water, including construction and
      installation of a batch water heater.
      * 1 day focused on solar cooking, including building simple cookers
      and cooking simple dishes.
      * 1 day focused on other RE energy technologies and issues.

      Solar Energy International has been sponsoring renewable energy
      workshops for more than 12 years. Our staff includes leading experts
      in the renewable energy world, and our alumni work all over the world
      in the renewable energy industry. See our Web site at
      <http://www.solarenergy.org> for information on our full catalog of
      workshop offerings.

      Rancho Mastatal
      Rancho Mastatal <http://www.ranchomastatal.com> is an environmental
      learning and sustainable living center, retreat and lodge located in
      the last virgin rainforest of Costa Rica's Puriscal County. The
      property shares a significant border with the splendid La Cangreja
      Reserve, a protected area providing habitat for a number of
      endangered animals and flora, and containing some 2,500 plant species
      and varied fauna such as 2-toed sloths, trogons, scarlet macaws, boa
      constrictors, toucans, poison-dart frogs, blue morpho butterflies,
      motmots, white-faced capuchin monkeys, coyotes, and anteaters. Rancho
      Mastatal maintains 7 kilometers of rainforest trails, connecting to a
      network of footpaths in La Cangreja.

      Modestly priced lodging and food packages will be available to all
      workshop participants. For more information on lodging, travel, and
      local logistics, see the Rancho Mastatal Web site, or contact Ian or
      Tom. Rancho Mastatal has lodging available before and after the
      workshop as well, and we will supply you with a list of other
      sustainability oriented destinations in Costa Rica in case you want
      to plan a longer visit.

      Workshop registration:
      Solar Energy International
      PO Box 715
      Carbondale, CO 81623
      970-963-8855
      Fax: 970-963-8866
      sei@...
      www.solarenergy.org

      Program information and logistics:
      Ian Woofenden, SEI NW Workshops Coordinator
      PO Box 1001, Anacortes, WA 98221
      360-293-7448 (home), Fax: 360-293-7034
      ian.woofenden@...

      For more information on Rancho Mastatal, see http://www.ranchomastatal.com

      Lodging, food, and local information:
      Tom McDonald
      Tropical Adventures in Education LLC
      E-mail: tae2001@...
      Phone: 206-660-4193
      ---

      --

      Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden@...>
      Senior Editor, Home Power magazine, The Hands-On Journal Of Home-Made Power

      800-707-6585 (US), 541-512-0220, or download current issue at
      <http://www.homepower.com>