Media Advisory - Public Meetings on Oil & Gas Peak & Decline

  • Chuck Wright
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2003
      FYI...

      Many of you HREG folks may want to catch the
      one in Houston. NTREG folks who are coming to Austin
      for the ASES conference might want to attend it here.

      I recommend the book, too. Some of his conclusions
      at the end are slightly more pessimistic than my own
      views, but I think he is mostly on target.

      - C

      ----------
      From: "Jim Baldauf" <jfbaldauf@...>

      Contact
      Texans United of Houston & Austin (Jim Baldauf, 512-517-2663, jfbaldauf@... )
      Post Carbon Institute of Vancouver, B.C. (Julian Darley, 604-708-8404, julian@... )

      MEDIA ADVISORY
      Public Meetings & Panel Discussions
      Houston, June 23, 7-9 pm, Emerson Unitarian Church, 1900 Bering Dr., S.W. Houston
      Austin, June 24,10:30 am-1:30 pm, Austin Convention Center, 500 Caesar Chavez St., Rm. 17-A
      Austin, June 24, 7-9 pm, AFL-CIO Building, 11th at Lavaca

      Author Richard Heinberg and a Panel of Energy Activists

      Discuss Peak & Decline of Oil & Gas Production

      The Book

      "The Party's Over- Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies"

      Experts Warn of Impending Peak of World Oil Production

      Paris Depletion Conference Confirms Peak of World Oil & N. American Natural Gas

      Demand-Supply Gap Can't be Filled by Hydrogen, Fuel Cells, Solar or Wind

      Houston & Austin, Texas- Author Richard Heinberg will discuss his new book, and a panel of energy activists and and environmentalists will discuss the impact of new findings by international oil and gas experts. The annual meeting of the Association for the Study of Peak Oil (ASPO), just concluded in Paris, featured Dr. Colin Campbell, Dr. Kenneth Deffeyes, Houston's Mathew Simmons, and French energy analyst Jean Laherrere, who confirmed the peak and decline of global crude oil production, and the peak of natural gas production throughout North America. They also confirmed that hydrogen, solar, wind, and other alternative energy sources will not be able to fill the looming demand-supply gap that faces the planet. The implications for the present- and for the next five or ten years- will be profound.

      Panelists Include: Journalist/Philosopher Julian Darley, just returned from the Paris ASPO conference, who will present the latest findings of the experts and the warnings signaled by North American natural gas peak and decline; Rahul Mahajan, a physicist and anti-war activist, who was the Green Party's candidate for Texas Governor in 2000; Mark Sardella, of Local Energy, an engineer developing a local energy system for Santa Fe, N.M.; Andrew Bowman, founder of Renewable Generation, who oversaw development of the largest wind power project in the world, the 280 mw Kin Mountain Clean Energy Center, in Texas; and Austin oil man and environmentalists Jim Baldauf, who will discuss avenues of citizen action to address the imminent supply-demand gap.

      Heinberg and other the experts believe that crude oil production will soon peak- or has already peaked- and will decline each year forever after, never to rise again, while demand continues to increase along with population and development. They note that an Executive V.P. and Director of Exxon Mobil admitted last year that oil discoveries peaked in the 1960s, and that 95% of world oil reserves have already been discovered. Without new discoveries, new production is impossible.

      The experts stress that this is not a rerun of the temporary shortages caused by political embargoes in the 1970s: this time there are simply no more big Alaskan or North Sea or Russian oil fields to be found. This time only Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Kuwait might be able to increase production substantially-- for a few more years. There is no real or timely substitute for oil. No fuel cell, windmill or solar panel fix will suffice to fill the gap. Hydrogen is an energy carrier, not an energy source, and it's a net energy loser. More oil and natural gas input is required to make hydrogen and fuel cells than the output they yield. Work on renewable energy sources is decades behind, and will not be able to cover the imminent energy gap.

      The implications of these findings will affect all aspects of modern life. Oil and gas shortages and price spikes are occurring right now. Without increased oil production, domestic and international economic growth will stop and then decline. Food prices will rise too. Every aspect of food production and distribution- from fertilizer and pesticides to packaging and transportation- is now completely dependent on cheap oil. The days of endless suburban sprawl, built on cheap gas and the car culture, are coming to an end. According to many experts, the Oil Age is almost over, and the socio-economic-political impacts will be profound.

      The lectures and panel discussions will discuss planned responses at all levels of society, including the formation of a Citizens' Committee on Peak & Decline to help the experts announce their warnings and plan citizen actions to redevelop local economies and prepare for a post-hydrocarbon age.

      Sources and References
      www.oilcrisis.com - See Campbell, Deffeyes, Laherrere
      www.simmonsco-intl.com - See Mathew Simmons Speeches and Papers
      www.dieoff.org - Vast Bibliography and Link Collection
      www.museletter.com - Richard Heinberg's Website
      www.globalpublicmedia.com - Julian Darley's Website on Petroleum Peak and Decline

    • Randy Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
        I heard this guy on KPFT's Progressive Forum last night. Very
        interesting.
        I plan to attend, if I can figure out where Bering Dr is.

        Randy Scott
        Drafting/Mechanical Design
        Detector Electronics - Houston
        Houston tx 77055
        7138120088

      • Dan S
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
          Bering Drive runs at a right angle to Westheimer about a mile past the
          Galleria as your heading out Westheimer towards Highway 6. Bering drive
          actually dead-ends into Westheimer, so if your heading out Westheimer, you
          will have to make a right hand turn on to Bering Dr. I think that there is
          a James Coney Island on the left hand side of Westheimer.

          Dan S.