RE: [hreg] Re: Correspondence from Senator Hutchison (fwd)

  • Nubia Perez
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
      Speaking of mass media, this is what helps keep me sane: tune into 90.1 KPFT here in Houston for some alternative news (and commerical free radio)...

      "Let there be Peace on Earth and let it begin with me..."

      Support fair trade with every email! Sign up for free email you@...--->
      http://mail.ifairtrade.net

      Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@... w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag
    • Ruby Krickett
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
        Look at #2

        Care2 political alerts keep you up-to-date on the latest happenings across the country and let you know how to help. Today, we've focused on state level politics; sometimes, difficult social problems can be addressed more quickly and effectively on a state level.

        ________________________
        1. Urge The Governor to Use Texas's Tobacco Money for Tobacco Prevention, Not the Deficit

        Years of litigation between the states and tobacco companies resulted in a $200 billion payment to prevent people from smoking and cut health care costs associated with tobacco use.

        Yet, many states have already spent a large portion of the tobacco pie, and not on tobacco prevention -- it's being spent to fill the state budget deficit!! Between 2000 and 2002, over the $21 billion of money was released, but only 5% ($1.5 billion) was spent on anti-smoking efforts.

        The funny thing is, studies keep showing that smoking programs cut state costs AND tobacco use.

        Regardless, governors across the country continue to dip into tobacco funds and close anti-smoking programs down. To keep tobacco money where it belongs, sign this petition.

        ________________________
        2. Global Warming - States Can Lead the Way!

        Recently, Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) included their Climate Stewardship Act (S. 139) in the U.S. Energy Bill. This groundbreaking Legislation, which *requires* cuts in U.S. emissions of the heat-trapping gasses that cause global warming could be the turning point in a fight against global warming. However, President Bush is aggressively pushing a voluntary-only cuts in global warming pollution from power plants which delays global warming prevention indefinitely.

        In the meantime, we can do much more on a local level. For example, California passed their own California Climate bill, designed to slow global warming. You can contact Texas's Governor to support strong & effective global warming prevention policies in Texas. Sign this free petition today and show the feds how it should be done!

        ________________________
        3. Poll: Which Presidential Candidate Do You Like Best?

        Have you been paying attention to all the presidential hopefuls recently? Do you like any of them? Vote in our poll and see what other Care2 members think!

        Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
        Since we're (still) on the subject:
        http://truthout.org/docs_03/060503A.shtml

        Paul

      • John Miggins
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
          This kind of double speak is what makes politicians so effective and
          despicable.

          Where did the safety issue come from and what does it mean? It is not an
          defined but just thrown in as an excuse to gives the uneducated an excuse
          or diversion to the real issues. We need more efficient vechicles to reduce
          our dependence on oil.

          Very effective for Mrs. Hutchinson with the majority of constituents if I
          may say so but does not speak to the larger issues.

          John Miggins
          Harvest Solar and Wind Power
          1571 East 22 Place
          Tulsa, OK 74114