Correspondence from Senator Hutchison (fwd)

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003
      I just got this from Senator Hutchinson, in response to an online petition.
      I've included the entire message, but have specific questions about two
      things, and I'm hoping someone here may have some answers (or at least be
      interested in the questions).

      The Senate Energy Bill, S. 14, is mentioned as promoting alternative energy.
      Is this a lip-service bill, or will it do real good?

      Ms. Hutchinson states that she does not believe "Congress should risk the
      safety of our cars and our families by mandating substantially increased
      CAFE standards." What the hell does that mean? How could raising standards
      for fuel efficiency risk anyone's safety? Except perhaps the safety of some
      oil exec's bonus checks...)

      Paul Archer

      On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements" section,
      it said "Requires Windows 95 or better". So I installed Linux.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
        Thanks for letting this letter from the Senator get into the open.

        It is pretty clear to me that BIG OIL has our senator in their pocket.
        Everyting in this letter spells higher profit to the oil companies and a
        token contribution to energy conservation and renewable energy. The marginal
        oil producers may be "small businesses" and need financial assistance but
        renewable energy businesses are also small and they need financial
        assistance more, in my opinion.

        I suggest that everyone write the senator asking her to withdraw S.696 and
        let BIG OIL find ways to reduce pollution and improve our living conditions.
        She may be contacted at her web site: hutchison.senate.gov. I looked at her
        bills and sent a message asking her to withdraw S.696. There are a lot of
        co-spopnsers so it will probably be considered but we can be heard.

        One giant oil company, BP, is working to sell solar. Other companies should
        be encouraged to trade smog pollution for smog elimination technologies.

        LOGIC

        Improving automobile efficiency is generall associated with reducing the
        weight of cars. Some people may equate reduced automobile weight as reduced
        protection for passangers. Remember when we thought large heavy cars (gas
        guzzlers) provided more protection than small light weight cars. It is
        logical, with this line of thinking, that increased fuel efficiencyequats
        to reduced safety. I suggest this is faulty logic.

        I suppose warped logic is widely available in Washington, DC. Remember the
        war to eliminate weapons of mass destruction when none were found but lots
        of oil was found. I am sad to say that I voted for Hutchison and younger
        Bush last election. Now I am convinced that both must be defeated because of
        their dedication to BIG OIL. We need representatives that are working toward
        a sustainable global-local society.

      • Ruby Krickett
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
          Anytime I sign a petition send an emeil, or letter, to anyone in government. This is the same kind of message that I get back.

          In short she dose not need your vote.
          Ether there are not enough people that feel as you do in that voting area. Or there are, but they are not voters.

          Krickett

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Doug
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
            This kind of indifference to our "non-energy" policy is why we all
            need to become MUCH more politically active to remove the puppets in
            our government that continue to lead us down the road to ruin.

            What will each of us do to actually affect change? The RE community
            needs to move the discussion from the "choir" to the public by
            working to influence everyone we know at a grass roots level to
            become more aware and vote with their ballots and pocketbook at every
            opportunity. The upcoming 2004 election is the target. We've got to
            stir up LOTS of interest and awareness before then.

            Service.

          • Michael Christie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
              Hey, I didn't vote for her! Nor will I ever. As a politically active person,
              I am gratified to hear the enlightened commentary that this letter has
              sparked. There is no doubt that our government is firmly in the clutches of
              Big Business. It is going to take a lot of grass roots activism to change
              this situation. And it also requires people to start making informed choices
              at the polls even in an age where the media (all of it, now that FCC has
              changed their rules) is firmly in the grips of those whose only interests
              are increasing their bottom lines.

              Recommended reading: "he Silent Takeover" by Noreena Hertz

              Michael Christie

              This kind of indifference to our "non-energy" policy is why we all
              need to become MUCH more politically active to remove the puppets in
              our government that continue to lead us down the road to ruin.

              What will each of us do to actually affect change? The RE community
              needs to move the discussion from the "choir" to the public by
              working to influence everyone we know at a grass roots level to
              become more aware and vote with their ballots and pocketbook at every
              opportunity. The upcoming 2004 election is the target. We've got to
              stir up LOTS of interest and awareness before then.

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Ruby Krickett <raskrcktt@y...> wrote:
              > Anytime I sign a petition send an emeil, or letter, to anyone in
              government. This is the same kind of message that I get back.

              > In short she dose not need your vote.
              > Ether there are not enough people that feel as you do in that
              voting area. Or there are, but they are not voters.

              > Krickett
              >

              > Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
              > I just got this from Senator Hutchinson, in response to an online
              petition.
              > I've included the entire message, but have specific questions about
              two
              > things, and I'm hoping someone here may have some answers (or at
              least be
              > interested in the questions).
              >
              > The Senate Energy Bill, S. 14, is mentioned as promoting
              alternative energy.
              > Is this a lip-service bill, or will it do real good?
              >
              > Ms. Hutchinson states that she does not believe "Congress should
              risk the
              > safety of our cars and our families by mandating substantially
              increased
              > CAFE standards." What the hell does that mean? How could raising
              standards
              > for fuel efficiency risk anyone's safety? Except perhaps the safety
              of some
              > oil exec's bonus checks...)
              >
              > Paul Archer

              -
              > On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements"
              section,
              > it said "Requires Windows 95 or better". So I installed Linux.
              -

              Service.

            • Leonard Bachman
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                The Senator suffers from adherence to the old paradigm of "how things really
                are" with the added delusion that states like Texas (a net importer of oil
                ourselves) are somehow advantaged by their indigenous resources. Her
                commentary on conservation is what architect William McDonough likens to
                "driving towards Canada at 100 mph and suddenly realizing you wanted to go
                to Mexico... so you slow down to 50."

                We gotta turn this thing around.
                Leonard

                > Hey, I didn't vote for her! Nor will I ever. As a politically active
                person,
                > I am gratified to hear the enlightened commentary that this letter has
                > sparked. There is no doubt that our government is firmly in the clutches
                of
                > Big Business. It is going to take a lot of grass roots activism to change
                > this situation. And it also requires people to start making informed
                choices
                > at the polls even in an age where the media (all of it, now that FCC has
                > changed their rules) is firmly in the grips of those whose only interests
                > are increasing their bottom lines.
                >
                > Recommended reading: "he Silent Takeover" by Noreena Hertz
                >
                > Michael Christie

              • Charles L. Seaman
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                  THANKS:
                  YOU ARE SO CORRECT.

                  ----------
> [...]

                  >>will work to ensure they remain in the final energy package sent to the
                  >>President.
                  >>
                  >> While debating the energy bill in the last Congress, the Senate voted
                  >>against mandatory higher Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards.
                  >>While I support tax incentives for fuel efficient vehicles, I do not
                  >>believe Congress should risk the safety of our cars and our families by
                  >>mandating substantially increased CAFE standards.
                  >>
                  >> I believe we all share the responsibility of protecting our environment
                  >>and achieving energy independence for future generations. Working
                  >>together we can sustain our competitive highly industrial economy and
                  >>increase our supply of domestic energy here at home.
                  >>
                  >> I appreciate hearing from you and hope that you will not hesitate to keep
                  >>in touch on any issue of concern to you.

                • Paul Archer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                    Since we're (still) on the subject:
                    http://truthout.org/docs_03/060503A.shtml

                    Paul

                    10:30am, Charles L. Seaman wrote:

> [...]
                    > >>I've included the entire message, but have specific questions about two
                    > >>things, and I'm hoping someone here may have some answers (or at least be
                    > >>interested in the questions).
                    > >>
                    > >>The Senate Energy Bill, S. 14, is mentioned as promoting alternative
                    > >>energy.
                    > >>Is this a lip-service bill, or will it do real good?
                    > >>
                    > >>Ms. Hutchinson states that she does not believe "Congress should risk the
                    > >>safety of our cars and our families by mandating substantially increased
                    > >>CAFE standards." What the hell does that mean? How could raising standards
                    > >>for fuel efficiency risk anyone's safety? Except perhaps the safety of some
                    > >>oil exec's bonus checks...)
                    > >>
                    > >>Paul Archer

                    > >>On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements" section,
                    > >>it said "Requires Windows 95 or better". So I installed Linux.

                    Q: What is the definition of a tachyon?
                    A: It's a gluon that's not completely dry.
                  • Nubia Perez
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                      Speaking of mass media, this is what helps keep me sane: tune into 90.1 KPFT here in Houston for some alternative news (and commerical free radio)...

                      "Let there be Peace on Earth and let it begin with me..."

                      Support fair trade with every email! Sign up for free email you@...--->
                      http://mail.ifairtrade.net

                      Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@... w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag
                    • Ruby Krickett
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                        Look at #2

                        Care2 political alerts keep you up-to-date on the latest happenings across the country and let you know how to help. Today, we've focused on state level politics; sometimes, difficult social problems can be addressed more quickly and effectively on a state level.

                        ________________________
                        1. Urge The Governor to Use Texas's Tobacco Money for Tobacco Prevention, Not the Deficit

                        Years of litigation between the states and tobacco companies resulted in a $200 billion payment to prevent people from smoking and cut health care costs associated with tobacco use.

                        Yet, many states have already spent a large portion of the tobacco pie, and not on tobacco prevention -- it's being spent to fill the state budget deficit!! Between 2000 and 2002, over the $21 billion of money was released, but only 5% ($1.5 billion) was spent on anti-smoking efforts.

                        The funny thing is, studies keep showing that smoking programs cut state costs AND tobacco use.

                        Regardless, governors across the country continue to dip into tobacco funds and close anti-smoking programs down. To keep tobacco money where it belongs, sign this petition.

                        ________________________
                        2. Global Warming - States Can Lead the Way!

                        Recently, Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) included their Climate Stewardship Act (S. 139) in the U.S. Energy Bill. This groundbreaking Legislation, which *requires* cuts in U.S. emissions of the heat-trapping gasses that cause global warming could be the turning point in a fight against global warming. However, President Bush is aggressively pushing a voluntary-only cuts in global warming pollution from power plants which delays global warming prevention indefinitely.

                        In the meantime, we can do much more on a local level. For example, California passed their own California Climate bill, designed to slow global warming. You can contact Texas's Governor to support strong & effective global warming prevention policies in Texas. Sign this free petition today and show the feds how it should be done!

                        ________________________
                        3. Poll: Which Presidential Candidate Do You Like Best?

                        Have you been paying attention to all the presidential hopefuls recently? Do you like any of them? Vote in our poll and see what other Care2 members think!

                      • John Miggins
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                          This kind of double speak is what makes politicians so effective and
                          despicable.

                          Where did the safety issue come from and what does it mean? It is not an
                          defined but just thrown in as an excuse to gives the uneducated an excuse
                          or diversion to the real issues. We need more efficient vechicles to reduce
                          our dependence on oil.

                          Very effective for Mrs. Hutchinson with the majority of constituents if I
                          may say so but does not speak to the larger issues.

                          John Miggins
                          Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                          1571 East 22 Place
                          Tulsa, OK 74114