Re: [hreg] Re: water heater thermometer

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2003
      Greg,
      I don't have much positive experience with thermistors, the signal is disrupted when you have long wire lengths.  Thermocouples are a more reliable instrument for measuring temperature and they don't require a current power source, but they are more expensive.  It sounds like your set up to use a thermistor, so make sure your analog line length is short.  If you have to run a 100' line, put the analog to digital converter close to your water tank, then the digital signal line can be as long as you like.  Also, make sure you use twisted and shielded wire for the analog signal, otherwise stray magnatic fields (produced by currents in other wires) can influence your signal.

      FYI for all HREG members...  Another way to measure surface temperatures between about 90 degF and 120 degF is an ear thermometer with an infared detector.  These thermometers can be purchased rather cheaply at any pharmacy - if you don't have one already.  You can use these to check for poor insulation in your ceiling, walls, hot water lines, etc.

      -Chris

      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2003
        Greg,

        Lots of neat stuff here if you have some money to spend:
        http://www.sensorsoft.com/pricingpage.html

        James Ferrill