RE: [hreg] FW: Eminent physicist refuses to review American colleagues' papers [fwd]

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9 7:36 AM

      OK, I’ll bite.

      What does this have to do with a Houston based organization devoted to promulgating science and technology?  Isn’t that what HREG is about (within the field of renewable energy)?

      Dr. Amit is entitled to his views.  But to broadbrush all Americans, or even all American scientists and scientific institutions, as warmongers and barbarian oppressors is analogous to saying that HREG members should stick to researching more efficient hiking techniques because the use of transportation technology, e.g., machine-based transportation and cleaner energy sources for same, is evil since it is part of the whole science and technology enterprise from which have emerged nuclear power, internal combustion engines, and other technologies that have created problems along with their benefits.

      Truth is, science and technology have ALWAYS been linked with warfare.  The U.S. Army Museum in West Point does an excellent job of showing how warfare through the ages changed in response to new science and technology, which gave armies the winning edge and forced wholesale changes in military strategy.  The Iraq war is doing the same.  But science and technology have also been linked to peace, and I think it is fair to say that in most cases, the “peace dividends” of new technological discoveries have been greater than the military dividends.  Take computer science, for instance, which you are benefiting from as you read this.  It was developed by and for both civil and military purposes (remember the early code-breaking computers?).  The military applications of computer science have been numerous and growing, but the civilian applications and benefits have been far greater (which is why the military is borrowing so much of their computer technology from civilians rather than the other way around).  Science is neutral.  What we do with it is the issue.  And that is a spiritual and ethical matter, not a matter for science per se.  Scientists are human beings, of course, and therefore are not exempt from facing the ethical dimensions of their work, but I don’t see an ethical basis for shunning the entire scientific enterprise.

      Technology is less neutral than science, since technology is applied science, and application (by definition) involves decisions that affect people directly.  Even here, however, the focus must be on people, not on technology per se.  Not only technologists, but politicians, consumers, businessmen, and all of society have a role to play in deciding the proper role of a particular technology in our society.  Nanotechnology is becoming all the rage, as biotechnology already has.  Rice University and Houston have been leaders in nanotechnology.  There is enormous potential for good.  There is also enormous potential for evil, even if one discounts the sci-fi nanobot domination tales.  Evil men and women have always used technology against humanity.  (Airplanes are great tools for transportation, but as we now know, they make deadly missiles too).  Good men and women should not abandon science nor leave technology for the exclusive use of evil people, but should use it responsibly and ethically and seek to extend it, as most HREG members seek to do.

      It is easy to blame science and technology for not controlling its children.  But it isn’t fair, nor is it realistic.  I applaud Martin Blume for insisting on keeping his technical publication free from politics and focused on science.

      Robert Johnston

      Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the fight against spam!