RE: [hreg] PV Lighting Project

  • Randy Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2003

      Here in Farm & Ranch country we often see the PV panel / battery / light combinations used as a security light over the ranch’s front gate, which might be a mile or two from the house. These will sometimes have a motion sensor that switches on the light when a car or truck approaches the gate. I’ve also seen them used at highway construction sites to operate signal lights in a unit that is mounted on a trailer for portability.

      I don’t know exactly where these come from, I only know that they are out there waiting for you to discover them.

      Sounds like a neat idea, to actually teach the resort’s guests about alternative energy in a “passive education” manner. Good luck.

      Randy Scott

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 17, 2003
        Some of these products are the Brinkman SL-7 Home Security light which are solar, motion detector light fixtures.  They include a motion detector, battery, solar module and two DC three Watt halogen illuminaires.  They sell for less than $90 and can quite literally be installed anywhere the sun shines.  Not a bad idea.

        SBT Designs
        8924 Saddle Trail
        San Antonio, Texas 78255
        210-698-7109

        Thanks Randy! To an extend the hotel wish the panels to be seen, if they are
        beautiful in design.  This will be a conservation topic for their guest and
        show their commitment for a pollution free environment. The low voltage
        lights are also being considered.  I'm also looking for a distributorship
        with the supplying company.

        Oral LaFleur
        (242) 322-1115

        >From: "Randy Scott" <cad1@...>
        >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: RE: [hreg] PV Lighting Project
        >Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:20:14 -0500
        >
        >Oh, yeah, it's lunch time so I can stop & talk to you.
        >
        >I don't know if you really need "PV lights" per se so much as, perhaps,
        >low voltage lights. There are many vendors that offer them for
        >landscaping use.
        >
        >If you specify "PV lights" you might only find the ones with a PV panel
        >and a light built-in to one unit. Perhaps your hotel might not want PV
        >panels all over the place.
        >
        >Think about a "utility room" that can be used for a bank of deep cycle
        >batteries and put the PV panels on the roof. Then you can run low
        >voltage wiring to all the lights, signs, and probably a photo-eye switch
        >that turns them on at sunset / off at sunrise.
        >
        >The kind with a PV panel, battery and light in a unit is best for
        >isolated locations where the wiring isn't available.
        >
        >Search Google for solar panels, solar accessories & systems. I've come
        >up with long lists of vendors. Then search for low voltage landscape
        >lighting. Just off the top of my head, I know that Sears Hardware has
        >them, Home Depot, etc. But you're looking for a wholesale outlet.
        >
        >Randy Scott

      • Oral LaFleur
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 18, 2003
          They sound perfect for this and other projects as well. Will research.

          Thanks

          Oral