RE: [hreg] PV Lighting Project

  • Randy Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
      Dude, I wish I had your job.

      Randy Scott

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Oral LaFleur [mailto:orallafleur@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:49 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] PV Lighting Project

      Hey HREG'er

      Glad to see you all still doing great work for the development of
      renewable
      energy tech.

      I am trying here in the Bahamas as well. However, I need some help with
      lighting project. Does anyone care to supply PV outside lighting for a
      hotel
      grounds lighting project I'm working on?

      Here's what's needed
      PV Garden Lights
      PV Sign Lights
      PV Lights for Coconut Trees
      PV Walkway Lights

      If more info is needed, please let me know. I can also supply photos of
      the
      property. This will be a high number of lights.

      Please email prices and specs. Email brochure if available. I need to
      present a proposal by Friday April 25, 2003

      Oral LaFleur
      (242) 322-1115

    • Randy Scott
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
        Oh, yeah, it's lunch time so I can stop & talk to you.

        I don't know if you really need "PV lights" per se so much as, perhaps,
        low voltage lights. There are many vendors that offer them for
        landscaping use.

        If you specify "PV lights" you might only find the ones with a PV panel
        and a light built-in to one unit. Perhaps your hotel might not want PV
        panels all over the place.

        Think about a "utility room" that can be used for a bank of deep cycle
        batteries and put the PV panels on the roof. Then you can run low
        voltage wiring to all the lights, signs, and probably a photo-eye switch
        that turns them on at sunset / off at sunrise.

        The kind with a PV panel, battery and light in a unit is best for
        isolated locations where the wiring isn't available.

        Search Google for solar panels, solar accessories & systems. I've come
        up with long lists of vendors. Then search for low voltage landscape
        lighting. Just off the top of my head, I know that Sears Hardware has
        them, Home Depot, etc. But you're looking for a wholesale outlet.

        Randy Scott

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
          You might also consider our line of LED lighting products. They are low
          voltage, provide high levels of illumination and are 100% compatible with
          solar power systems.
          We offer LED spotlights, area lights and specialty landscape lighting
          products.

          SBT Designs
          8924 Saddle Trail
          San Antonio, Texas 78255
          210-698-7109
          FAX: 210-698-7147
          www.sbtdesigns.com
          > Glad to see you all still doing great work for the development of
          renewable
          > energy tech.
          >
          > I am trying here in the Bahamas as well. However, I need some help with a
          > lighting project. Does anyone care to supply PV outside lighting for a
          hotel
          > grounds lighting project I'm working on?
          >
          > Here's what's needed
          > PV Garden Lights
          > PV Sign Lights
          > PV Lights for Coconut Trees
          > PV Walkway Lights
          >
          > If more info is needed, please let me know. I can also supply photos of
          the
          > property. This will be a high number of lights.
          >
          > Please email prices and specs. Email brochure if available. I need to
          > present a proposal by Friday April 25, 2003
          >

          > Oral LaFleur
          > (242) 322-1115

        • Roy Holder
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
            At 12:51 PM 4/16/2003 -0500, Steven Shepard wrote:
            >You might also consider our line of LED lighting products. They are low
            >voltage, provide high levels of illumination and are 100% compatible with
            >solar power systems.
            >We offer LED spotlights, area lights and specialty landscape lighting
            >products.

            Yes, Start by looking at LED's. High sales point = VERY Long life.

            >SBT Designs
            >8924 Saddle Trail
            >San Antonio, Texas 78255
            >210-698-7109
            >FAX: 210-698-7147
            >www.sbtdesigns.com

          • Oral LaFleur
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
              Thanks Randy! To an extend the hotel wish the panels to be seen, if they are
              beautiful in design. This will be a conservation topic for their guest and
              show their commitment for a pollution free environment. The low voltage
              lights are also being considered. I'm also looking for a distributorship
              with the supplying company.

              Oral LaFleur
              (242) 322-1115

            • Randy Scott
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17, 2003

                Here in Farm & Ranch country we often see the PV panel / battery / light combinations used as a security light over the ranch’s front gate, which might be a mile or two from the house. These will sometimes have a motion sensor that switches on the light when a car or truck approaches the gate. I’ve also seen them used at highway construction sites to operate signal lights in a unit that is mounted on a trailer for portability.

                I don’t know exactly where these come from, I only know that they are out there waiting for you to discover them.

                Sounds like a neat idea, to actually teach the resort’s guests about alternative energy in a “passive education” manner. Good luck.

                Randy Scott

                Thanks Randy! To an extend the hotel wish the panels to be seen, if they are
                beautiful in design.  This will be a conservation topic for their guest and
                show their commitment for a pollution free environment. The low voltage
                lights are also being considered.  I'm also looking for a distributorship
                with the supplying company.

                Oral LaFleur
                (242) 322-1115

                >From: "Randy Scott" <cad1@...>
                >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: RE: [hreg] PV Lighting Project
                >Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:20:14 -0500
                >
                >Oh, yeah, it's lunch time so I can stop & talk to you.
                >
                >I don't know if you really need "PV lights" per se so much as, perhaps,
                >low voltage lights. There are many vendors that offer them for
                >landscaping use.
                >
                >If you specify "PV lights" you might only find the ones with a PV panel
                >and a light built-in to one unit. Perhaps your hotel might not want PV
                >panels all over the place.
                >
                >Think about a "utility room" that can be used for a bank of deep cycle
                >batteries and put the PV panels on the roof. Then you can run low
                >voltage wiring to all the lights, signs, and probably a photo-eye switch
                >that turns them on at sunset / off at sunrise.
                >
                >The kind with a PV panel, battery and light in a unit is best for
                >isolated locations where the wiring isn't available.
                >
                >Search Google for solar panels, solar accessories & systems. I've come
                >up with long lists of vendors. Then search for low voltage landscape
                >lighting. Just off the top of my head, I know that Sears Hardware has
                >them, Home Depot, etc. But you're looking for a wholesale outlet.
                >
                >Randy Scott

              • Steven Shepard
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 17, 2003
                  Some of these products are the Brinkman SL-7 Home Security light which are solar, motion detector light fixtures.  They include a motion detector, battery, solar module and two DC three Watt halogen illuminaires.  They sell for less than $90 and can quite literally be installed anywhere the sun shines.  Not a bad idea.

                  SBT Designs
                  8924 Saddle Trail
                  San Antonio, Texas 78255
                  210-698-7109

                  Thanks Randy! To an extend the hotel wish the panels to be seen, if they are
                  beautiful in design.  This will be a conservation topic for their guest and
                  show their commitment for a pollution free environment. The low voltage
                  lights are also being considered.  I'm also looking for a distributorship
                  with the supplying company.

                  Oral LaFleur
                  (242) 322-1115

                  >From: "Randy Scott" <cad1@...>
                  >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: RE: [hreg] PV Lighting Project
                  >Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:20:14 -0500
                  >
                  >Oh, yeah, it's lunch time so I can stop & talk to you.
                  >
                  >I don't know if you really need "PV lights" per se so much as, perhaps,
                  >low voltage lights. There are many vendors that offer them for
                  >landscaping use.
                  >
                  >If you specify "PV lights" you might only find the ones with a PV panel
                  >and a light built-in to one unit. Perhaps your hotel might not want PV
                  >panels all over the place.
                  >
                  >Think about a "utility room" that can be used for a bank of deep cycle
                  >batteries and put the PV panels on the roof. Then you can run low
                  >voltage wiring to all the lights, signs, and probably a photo-eye switch
                  >that turns them on at sunset / off at sunrise.
                  >
                  >The kind with a PV panel, battery and light in a unit is best for
                  >isolated locations where the wiring isn't available.
                  >
                  >Search Google for solar panels, solar accessories & systems. I've come
                  >up with long lists of vendors. Then search for low voltage landscape
                  >lighting. Just off the top of my head, I know that Sears Hardware has
                  >them, Home Depot, etc. But you're looking for a wholesale outlet.
                  >
                  >Randy Scott

                • Oral LaFleur
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 18, 2003
                    They sound perfect for this and other projects as well. Will research.

                    Thanks

                    Oral