Nat'l RE electricity bill

  • jclem412@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2003
      SUBJECT: Ask Senator Smith to Support a Cosponsor aStrong National Renewable
      Electricity Standard Bill!

      SUMMARY
      As a member of the Senate Energy Committee, Senator Smith (R-OR) has the
      opportunity to play a key role in advancing a strong Representatives Udall
      (D-NM), Udall (D-CO), and Leach (R-IA) recently introduced HR 1294, a
      Renewable Electricity Standard (RES) bill that requiresrequiring utilities to
      generate 20 percent of their more electricity from clean renewable sources by
      2025. An RES wouldThis bill would save consumers money on their utility
      bills, benefit farmers, create jobs, spur economic development, and improve
      our energy security. Encouraging the use of renewable energy would also
      reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions that threaten public
      health. Please urge Senator Smith to support an amendment in committee to
      insert a strong RES into the energy bill and cosponsor the Jeffords RES bill.

      Now Oregon Senator Gordon Smith, a strong supporter of renewable energy in
      the past, has an opportunity to advance similar RES legislation in the
      Senate. Senators Jeffords (I-VT) and Fitzgerald (R-IL) are currently working
      on a Senate bill similar to HR 1294. Please urge Senator Smith to move us
      toward a cleaner energy future by working with Senators Jeffords and
      Fitzgerald to cosponsor a strong Senate Renewable Electricity Standard bill,
      and to work to ensure that any Energy Bill considered in committee this
      session includes a strong Renewable Electricity Standard.

      BACKGROUND
      Last session, Senator Smith (R-OR) established himself as a leader on
      renewable energy issues by helping to pass a strong Renewable Electricity
      Standard (RES) in the Senate energy bill. This standard required utilities
      to generate 10 percent of their electricity from renewable sources by 2020.
      Although the RES provision died along with the broader energy bill during the
      conference process, RES emerged as a prominent issue during the energy debate
      this session. As a member of the Energy Committee, Senator Smith will play
      a key role in ensuring that any national energy legislation includes a strong
      RES.

      On March 14, 2003, Representatives Udall (D-NM), Udall (D-CO), and Leach
      (R-IA) introduced HR 1294, a Renewable Electricity Standard (RES) bill that
      requires utilities to generate 20 percent of their electricity from clean
      renewable sources by 2025. A similar bill to be introduced in the Senate is
      currently under development by Senators Jeffords (I-VT) and Fitzgerald
      (R-IL). Senator Jeffords (I-VT) is working to craft a similar bill in the
      Senate.

      A 20 percent Renewable Electricity Standard would diversify our energy supply
      and increase our energy security and reliability, while protecting consumers
      from volatile fossil fuel prices. A study by the U.S. Energy Information
      Administration (EIA) shows that an RES of 10 percent by 2020, like one passed
      by the U.S. Senate last year, would reduce the heavy demand for natural gas
      and slightly reduce both natural gas and electricity prices. EIA found that
      even increasing the RES to 20 percent by 2020-five years earlier than the
      Udall bill- would lower natural gas prices, offsetting slight electricity
      price increases and causing virtually no net change to total consumer bills.

      The RES would stimulate domestic investment in new renewable energy
      throughout the nation, creating jobs and providing income to rural areas.
      According to the Department of Energy, generating just 5% of U.S. electricity
      use from wind power alone by 2020 could provide $1.2 billion in new income
      for farmers and rural landowners and create 80,000 new jobs.

      Increasing our reliance on clean renewable energy would also reduce the air
      pollution and emissions of global warming gases that threaten our health and
      the well being of our planet.

      The Senate Energy Committee will soon debate a new energy bill. Since
      Senator Smith may cast the deciding committee vote, he will face tremendous
      pressure from RES opponents to reverse his support for the standard. Please
      urge Senator Smith to support an amendment in committee to insert a strong
      RES into the bill and cosponsor the Jeffords RES bill. to work with Senators
      Jeffords and Fitzgerald to introduce a strong Renewable Electricity Standard
      bill in the Senate, and to support a strong RES in any Energy Bill that
      passes through the Senate.

      LETTER
      Washington DC Office: Phone: (202)224-3753 Fax: (202) 228-3997
      Portland Office: Phone: (503) 326-3386 Fax: (503) 326-2900
      Eastern Oregon Office: Phone: (541) 278-1129 Fax: (541) 278-4109
      E-mail (online form): gsmith.senate.gov/webform.htm

      Dear Senator Smith,

      I am writing to urge you to help ensure that any national energy legislation
      includes a strong Renewable Electricity Standard (RES) requiring utilities to
      increase generation of clean renewable energy.become an original co-sponsor
      of legislation currently being developed by Senators Jeffords (I-VT) and
      Fitzgerald (R-IL) to establish a national Renewable Electricity Standard
      (RES). This bill would be similar to HR 1294, introduced on March 14, 2003
      by Representatives Udall (D CO), Udall (D NM), Leach (R IA).

      A 20 percentA strong RES renewable electricity standard would diversify our
      energy supply and increase our energy security and reliability, while
      protecting consumers from volatile fossil fuel prices. A study by the U.S.
      Energy Information Administration (EIA) shows that an RES of 10 percent by
      2020, like one passed by the U.S. Senate last year, would reduce the heavy
      demand for natural gas and slightly reduce both natural gas and electricity
      prices. EIA found that even increasing the RES to 20 percent by 2020 -five
      years earlier than the Udall bill- would lower natural gas prices, offsetting
      slight electricity price increases and causing virtually no net change to
      total consumer bills.

      Increasing our reliance on renewable energy would also boost the economy.
      According to the DOE, wind energy alone could provide $1.2 billion in new
      income for farmers and rural landowners and create 80,000 new jobs by 2020.
      In addition, the RES would reduce the air pollution and emissions of global
      warming gases that threaten our health and the well being of our planet.

      Please help us move toward a clean, affordable, reliable energy future by
      supporting an amendment to insert a strong Renewable Electricity Standard
      into the Senate energy bill during the Energy Committee debate. Also, please
      cosponsor Senator Jefford's (I-VT) forthcoming RES bill. cosponsoring
      legislation to create a strong Renewable Electricity Standard. In addition,
      please work to ensure that any Energy. Bill that passes through the Senate
      this session includes a strong Renewable Electricity Standards provision.
      Please let me know your position on this important issue.

      Sincerely,

      [Your name and address]

      **Please be sure to let us know if you have called or sent a letter to
      Senator Smith!**