RE: [hreg] Earth Day

  • Ryan McMullan
    Message 1 of 90 , Mar 27 6:43 AM
               I tried one of those in my old car.  It was a small solar panel that sits on your dash and plugs into your cigarette lighter.  The idea was that it would trickle charge your battery while the car sits in the sun.  However, I discovered that the cigarette lighter was dead when the car was off (it would not power anything).  I'm no electrician, but I'm pretty sure that means the current wouldn't flow backwards from the PV into the battery.  You almost need to hook it directly to the battery, but I never got around to that.  That could be a good project for my Prius since it really makes use of the electricity.  I'm not sure if I want to mess with the electric system in the hybrid however.  I guess I should talk to the Electric Vehicle Society.

      Ryan

      At 08:04 AM 3/27/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      I got a similar device from the auto parts store for "keeping up" an automotive 12V battery.
      It didn't work very well. They were not expensive so I got another and wired them together.
      Still not very effective.
      Could have something to do with the fact that my driveway, in front of the garage door, only gets afternoon sun, not morning sun.

      Randy Scott
      Houston Tx

      Message 90 of 90 , Jan 20, 2006
        I have accepted to be at the Woodlands event on April 8.
        John Gardner

        Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote:
        Looking ahead to Earth Day, I’d like to get an idea how many of you will be willing to help staff an HREG booth at one event or other.  I’m sure we will have many opportunities and I don’t want to accept more than we can handle.  Please let me know if you would like to staff the specific request below or if you would like to sign up tentatively to staff another Earth Day event.  Most will be on Saturdays in April.  Please e-mail me at mewert@....  Thank you.