Re: [hreg] About Earth Day April 19th

  • Robert Bruce Warburton
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2003
      I will probably have an interview this week in East Texas, so I am not sure where I will be in one month. I got some information about a combination battery powered lawnmower and edger by Neuton. I also told Mike about a video on Wind Power in Denmark, but I think he wants to save it for the next meeting on the HREG. There is a man in Bellville, who is into windmills as a source of power. I could see if he might be interested in contributing  something.
      Sincerely,
      Robert Warburton

      Earth Day at Rice University on April 19th is just around the corner.  Mike and I took inventory of what we have to present and I think we can put on a good show.  We have a display board on HREG, showing different activities in which the group has been involved.  We have a display board on renewable energy education, presenting conservation, solar, wind, and bioenergy information. We have several toys too. Mike's bringing a solar powered go-cart, a solar water heater, and a solar powered air lift (holds a ball in the air).  I'll bring a fuel cell energy storage system demo.  Randy has offered a solar calculator; Nubia, a solar powered battery charger; and Claude, a solar powered RC car.  Excellent!  Anything else? - Does anyone have anything wind powered?  The TSU Solar Lab will be next to us and they will have some interesting items also - have you seen their solar powered entertainment center? We need people to stay with the booth between 10 am and 6 pm.  We would like to have 2 hour shifts with 2 people and we need more volunteers.  Come join the fun.  Reply to HREG or send Mike or myself (Chris) an e-mail.  I'll send out a tentative schedule shortly to those that have volunteered. I think this community event is very important in light of current events.  A peaceful future will depend on the dissemination of a sustainable energy culture into our nation.  Earth Day is a step in the right direction - get involved. Regards,Chris ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 1:24 PM
      Subject: [hreg] Fwd: Houston Earth Day Announcements
       Just got this email from CEC. Our registration form has been sent in, along with our fees (thanks, Kathryn).
      It will be 10am to 6pm Saturday, April 19th at Rice. Hope everyone will mark the day and try to make it. Lots of interesting things to see.
      Can you help at the booth for 3 or 4 hours (or all day)? Ideas for exhibits? Have any kind of toy or gadget based on solar or other forms of renewable energy you can loan for our booth? The treasury is getting low - we need to win another prize!
      Charlie

    • deviant
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2003
        I can offer a solar cooker or two for demonstration. I've got
        commercial box and parabolic, as well as a homemade funnel. All work
        great. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to attend.
      • nappinfree@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
          HELLO ALL,

          I'm very new to this list, but very much interested in the topic.  Haven't been able to make it to any of the meetings, but I want to support the group in any way I can.  I'm planning to attend the Earth Day event and if needed I'm available to volunteer.
        • Mike Ewert
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
            I think we are in pretty good shape for volunteers on the 19th, but stop by and say "hi".  We can probably use help with the Earth Day in May (more details to come).