Solar-powered flood light

  • Ryan McMullan
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
      Hello all,

      I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store power
      during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
      flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?

      Ryan

      --------------------------
      Ryan McMullan
      Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
      Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
      Rice University
      http://www.rice.edu/recycle
      recycle@...
      (713) 348-5272
    • Randy Scott
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
        How many batteries can you pack in your garage?

        Randy Scott
        Drafting/Mech Design
        Fire & Safety Int'l
        Houston Tx

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
          At 02:55 PM 3/11/2003 -0600, you wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store power
          >during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
          >flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?

          Have done it in the past.
          feasiblity depends, mainly on height of flag.
          short poles, 12' to 18', are easiest.

          technolgy available as parts, no 'flag pole light kits' that I know of.

          >Ryan
          >
          >--------------------------
          >Ryan McMullan
          >Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
          >Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
          >Rice University
          >http://www.rice.edu/recycle
          >recycle@...
          >(713) 348-5272

        • Kevin L. Conlin
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
            This is a difficult application because the flag is usually a good distance
            from the ground, and requires either a powerful light, or mounting the
            light(s) high on the pole. The powerful light doesn't work well with solar.
            If you design the system to work in the summer only it will be reasonable,
            but year round requires a lot of solar and batteries, at least in the Gulf
            Coast.

            > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store
            power
            > during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
            > flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?
            >
            > Ryan
            >
            > --------------------------
            > Ryan McMullan
            > Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
            > Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
            > Rice University
            > http://www.rice.edu/recycle
            > recycle@...
            > (713) 348-5272

          • Steven Shepard
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
              We offer two LED fixtures which can be solar powered and used for this type
              of application. Attached is an image of the fixtures. You can find more
              information about these products on our web site.

              SBT Designs
              8924 Saddle Trail
              San Antonio, Texas 78255
              210-698-7109
              FAX: 210-698-7147
              www.sbtdesigns.com
              > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store
              power
              > during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
              > flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?
              >
              > Ryan
              >
              > --------------------------
              > Ryan McMullan
              > Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
              > Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
              > Rice University
              > http://www.rice.edu/recycle
              > recycle@...
              > (713) 348-5272

            • C.C. Foster
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 13, 2003
                We think this project is credble. Please call us at your convenience.

                Claude Foster
                281-236-3579

                >From: Ryan McMullan <mcmullan@...>
                >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [hreg] Solar-powered flood light
                >Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:55:11 -0600
                >
                > Hello all,
                >
                > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store
                >power
                >during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
                >flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?
                >
                >Ryan
                >
                >--------------------------
                >Ryan McMullan
                >Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
                >Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
                >Rice University
                >http://www.rice.edu/recycle
                >recycle@...
                >(713) 348-5272

              • Steven Shepard
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13, 2003
                  Your message was broadcast to the group at large.

                  Who are you addressing?

                  SBT Designs
                  8924 Saddle Trail
                  San Antonio, Texas 78255