Fwd: Houston Earth Day Announcements

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
      Just got this email from CEC. Our registration form has been sent in, along with our fees (thanks, Kathryn).
      It will be 10am to 6pm Saturday, April 19th at Rice. Hope everyone will mark the day and try to make it. Lots of interesting things to see.
      Can you help at the booth for 3 or 4 hours (or all day)? Ideas for exhibits? Have any kind of toy or gadget based on solar or other forms of renewable energy you can loan for our booth? The treasury is getting low - we need to win another prize!
      Charlie
    • Randy Scott
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
        I've got a solar-powered calculator - will that help?

        Randy Scott
        Drafting/Mech Design
        Fire & Safety Int'l
        Houston Tx
         cad1@...
        713-812-0088 x314

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003

          Charlie,

          I can work for the first 3-4 hours at Rice so put me down.

          John Gardner

          Subject: Houston Earth Day Announcements
          From: Sarah Doss
          To: Member Group Contacts - 2

          Dear CEC Member,

          Houston Earth Day 2003 is coming up soon! We're getting really excited
          about hosting a great event again this year. There are a few announcements
          and invitations we would like to share with you.

          First, be sure to get your booth registrations in! As added incentive this
          year, we will have cash prizes for the most original non-profit booths! A
          panel of judges will award prizes of $500, $300, and $100 to the three most
          creative and interactive booths. Let me know if you need another copy of
          the registration form, or you can download one at
          .

          Second, we are organizing an Environmental Carnival this year for the Kids'
          Zone, and we'd like to invite you to be a part of it. We're requesting
          submissions for environmentally-themed games for youngsters. For example,
          the Rice Environmental Club proposed a Recycled Ring Toss, with rings made
          from recycled metal thrown over glass bottles. We will provide prizes for
          the kids - you provide the inspiration, equipment, and someone to run the
          game. Please contact Phil Levine (avram@...) if you are interested in
          participating.

          Third, we need speakers for Earth Breaks! Earth Breaks are short speeches
          (5-10 minutes) that take place on the stages between entertainment acts.
          These should address a specific environmental concern and provide
          information on what festival-goers can do to address the concern. Last
          year's speakers covered topics ranging from commuter solutions to
          land stewardship and your lawn. If you are interested in speaking, please
          contact Ryan McMullan (mcmullan@...).

          And, of course, feel free to contact me with any questions
          (sarah@... or 713-524-4232).

          Hope to see you at Earth Day!
          Sarah

          --
          Sarah Doss
          Office Manager

          "Expanding the capacity of conservation organizations in the Greater
          Houston area."

        • Nubia Perez
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2003
            i also have a hand-made solar powered double A battery charger.

            --- message from "Randy Scott" <cad1@...> attached:

            Support fair trade with every email! Sign up for free email you@...--->
            http://mail.ifairtrade.net

            Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@... w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag
          • C.C. Foster
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2003
              RE: GADGETS

              I will bring my solar powered radio controlled car. It is about 12 inches
              long. The youngsters really get a kick out of driving it around. I hope to
              bring it back with me.

              Claude

              >From: chasmauch@...
              >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [hreg] Fwd: Houston Earth Day Announcements
              >Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:24:53 EST
              >
              >Just got this email from CEC. Our registration form has been sent in, along
              >with our fees (thanks, Kathryn).
              >It will be 10am to 6pm Saturday, April 19th at Rice. Hope everyone will
              >mark
              >the day and try to make it. Lots of interesting things to see.
              >Can you help at the booth for 3 or 4 hours (or all day)? Ideas for
              >exhibits?
              >Have any kind of toy or gadget based on solar or other forms of renewable
              >energy you can loan for our booth? The treasury is getting low - we need to
              >win another prize!
              >Charlie
              ><< message5.txt >>

            • C.C. Foster
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2003
                RE: GADGETS

                I will bring my solar powered radio controlled car. It is about 12 inches
                long. The youngsters really get a kick out of driving it around. I hope to
                bring it back with me.

                Claude

                >From: chasmauch@...
                >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [hreg] Fwd: Houston Earth Day Announcements
                >Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:24:53 EST
                >
                >Just got this email from CEC. Our registration form has been sent in, along
                >with our fees (thanks, Kathryn).
                >It will be 10am to 6pm Saturday, April 19th at Rice. Hope everyone will
                >mark
                >the day and try to make it. Lots of interesting things to see.
                >Can you help at the booth for 3 or 4 hours (or all day)? Ideas for
                >exhibits?
                >Have any kind of toy or gadget based on solar or other forms of renewable
                >energy you can loan for our booth? The treasury is getting low - we need to
                >win another prize!
                >Charlie
                ><< message5.txt >>

              • Ryan McMullan
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
                  Hello all,

                  I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store power
                  during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
                  flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?

                  Ryan

                  --------------------------
                  Ryan McMullan
                  Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
                  Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
                  Rice University
                  http://www.rice.edu/recycle
                  recycle@...
                  (713) 348-5272
                • Randy Scott
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
                    How many batteries can you pack in your garage?

                    Randy Scott
                    Drafting/Mech Design
                    Fire & Safety Int'l
                    Houston Tx

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
                      At 02:55 PM 3/11/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                      > Hello all,
                      >
                      > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store power
                      >during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
                      >flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?

                      Have done it in the past.
                      feasiblity depends, mainly on height of flag.
                      short poles, 12' to 18', are easiest.

                      technolgy available as parts, no 'flag pole light kits' that I know of.

                      >Ryan
                      >
                      >--------------------------
                      >Ryan McMullan
                      >Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
                      >Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
                      >Rice University
                      >http://www.rice.edu/recycle
                      >recycle@...
                      >(713) 348-5272

                    • Kevin L. Conlin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
                        This is a difficult application because the flag is usually a good distance
                        from the ground, and requires either a powerful light, or mounting the
                        light(s) high on the pole. The powerful light doesn't work well with solar.
                        If you design the system to work in the summer only it will be reasonable,
                        but year round requires a lot of solar and batteries, at least in the Gulf
                        Coast.

                        > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store
                        power
                        > during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
                        > flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?
                        >
                        > Ryan
                        >
                        > --------------------------
                        > Ryan McMullan
                        > Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
                        > Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
                        > Rice University
                        > http://www.rice.edu/recycle
                        > recycle@...
                        > (713) 348-5272

                      • Steven Shepard
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
                          We offer two LED fixtures which can be solar powered and used for this type
                          of application. Attached is an image of the fixtures. You can find more
                          information about these products on our web site.

                          SBT Designs
                          8924 Saddle Trail
                          San Antonio, Texas 78255
                          210-698-7109
                          FAX: 210-698-7147
                          www.sbtdesigns.com
                          > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store
                          power
                          > during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
                          > flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?
                          >
                          > Ryan
                          >
                          > --------------------------
                          > Ryan McMullan
                          > Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
                          > Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
                          > Rice University
                          > http://www.rice.edu/recycle
                          > recycle@...
                          > (713) 348-5272

                        • C.C. Foster
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 13, 2003
                            We think this project is credble. Please call us at your convenience.

                            Claude Foster
                            281-236-3579

                            >From: Ryan McMullan <mcmullan@...>
                            >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [hreg] Solar-powered flood light
                            >Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:55:11 -0600
                            >
                            > Hello all,
                            >
                            > I'm looking for a solar-powered flood light that would store
                            >power
                            >during the day and project enough light to illuminate a flag atop a
                            >flagpole at night. Is this feasible? Is this available?
                            >
                            >Ryan
                            >
                            >--------------------------
                            >Ryan McMullan
                            >Grounds Supervisor, Special Services
                            >Recycling, Waste Collection, and Moving
                            >Rice University
                            >http://www.rice.edu/recycle
                            >recycle@...
                            >(713) 348-5272

                          • Steven Shepard
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 13, 2003
                              Your message was broadcast to the group at large.

                              Who are you addressing?

                              SBT Designs
                              8924 Saddle Trail
                              San Antonio, Texas 78255