Portugal Visitor

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2003
      Last week I had the pleasure of visiting with Mr. Pedro Barata, a "climate
      negotiator" and president of Euronatura from Portugal. He was visiting
      several cities in the US on behalf of the US International Visitors Program.
      His role in Europe is to convince heads of state that Portugal is complying
      as best it can to the Kyoto Protocol and to check that other countries that
      signed the agreement are also doing their part - sort of an international
      lobbyist.

      He found a major difference between the way Europeans and Americans respond
      to environmentalism. Americans look to technology to reduce pollution
      without having to change habits. Europeans look to how they can change
      their lifestyle so that they pollute less. Two interesting perspectives.

      Sincerely,
      Chris

      [Scanned by AwesomeNet Anti-Virus]