Radiant Barrier

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2003
      I put together a model calculating the heat transfered from the sun to the roof to the attic to the ceiling, and compared with and without a radiant barrier material.  Modelling the convection (heat carried out by the air ventilation) was difficult to generalize (open for criticism), but in any case, the difference in heat transfered to the house ceiling when a radiant barrier is installed is small compared to the difference you can make by adding more insulation.  It doesn't appear to matter whether the barrier is on the floor of the attic or on the underside of the roof.  If you do get the radiant barrier, convection becomes more important - make sure your attic is well ventilated, otherwise, it just makes the attic space hottor.