Solar for Orphanage

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2003
      Here is an update on the HREG Solar Orphanage project and a chance for you
      to be involved. For those not familiar, at our October 2002 meeting, we had
      a presentation by Southwest PV teaching us how to size an off-grid solar
      home system. The system was sized for an orphanage in Kenya operated by
      Cherish Our Children International (www.cherishourchildren.org). At the
      same meeting, one of the organization's leaders shared with us about their
      orphanage located in Kisumu, Kenya.

      HREG is planning to donate the solar PV system to the orphanage as a
      voluntary good will project. We recently received a final quote from
      Southwest PV for the system (not including the batteries and frame that will
      be purchased in Kenya). The quote is attached along with a spreadsheet
      showing the sizing details, if you are interested.

      We need to collect $2000, but the good news is that there are over 200 of
      us! Since I don't think we will get 100% participation, I am asking you to
      consider a donation of $20 or more and to be in the giving half. Once the
      funds are collected and all legal documents are in order, Cherish Our
      Children will order the PV system from Southwest PV and it will be shipped
      to Kenya.

      Please send your donations to:
      Cherish Our Children International
      P.O. Box 540007
      Houston, TX 77254

      and mark it for Orphanage Solar system.
      Let's set a goal of collecting the funds by the end of February.

      Thank you very much,

      Mike Ewert
      HREG President