Solar Panels, White House?

  • Nubia Perez
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2003
      This was sent to me...

      thought ya'll would want to know..

      SOLAR SYSTEMS QUIETLY INSTALLED AT WHITE HOUSE COMPLEX
      Solar energy has returned to the White House complex, with three solar installations
      completed last summer. An 8.75 peak-kilowatt photovoltaic (PV) system was
      installed on a National Park Service maintenance building on the White House
      grounds. The system feeds electricity into the White House electricity grid.
      On the same building, a residential-scale solar water heating system provides
      hot water for landscape maintenance personnel. The third installation is
      a five-panel, building-integrated solar hot water system on a cabana roof
      next to the presidential pool and spa. This system heats water for a hot
      tub and shower, with any extra energy going into the outdoor pool. When asked
      why a bigger splash hasn't been made about these installations, James Doherty,
      an architect with the National Park Service White House Liaison Office, said
      that the Park Service doesn't like to advertise what it does at the White
      House. "We call it 'silent stewardship,'" he said. Environmental Building
      News, Jan 2003, p 3, by Alex Wilson. [Full text: http://www.buildinggreen.com/news/white_house.html
      ]

      Support fair trade with every email! Sign up for free email you@...--->
      http://mail.ifairtrade.net