RE: [hreg] Updated bookmark file

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2003
      1) Depending on the size and complexity of the waterfall you want to build, the PV/pump part could be pretty easy.  My dad and I have made small fountains for his fish pond by using inexpensive bilge pumps and 10 watt PV panels.  Pick a 12 volt bilge pump with the flowrate you want, then get a PV panel rated at about twice as many amps as the pump.  That way it will pump nicely even at half sun.

      If you want a more elaborate system than you can do yourself and/or educational curriculum to go with it, then I suggest you contact CSG http://www.csgrp.com/ .  Their Austin office has installed several solar panels on schools.

      2) I have thought about PV for my pool pump too, but I'm not sure it's very practical.  Most pumps would take quite a large panel to run, not to mention they are all AC.  But, it does seem like a good application if it were properly engineered.  It might make a good HREG project sometime, so don't give up hope.

      Hope to see you at the meeting Sunday.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 20, 2003
        Noyes,

        Mike's right about the small pond pumps. You can set up a simple PV panel
        directly running a small DC pump and it will work well. Those pumps are
        small enough where nothing more than a panel is needed.

        Larger pumps are a different story. I once looked into what it would take
        to solar power something like a hot tub or pool pump and the amount of
        power required is substantial. Plus, the systems are complex because you
        have to have something that can handle the surge draw that a pump would
        take. From everything I've read, even water pumping from a simple well has
        been a challenge for many offgrid folks. Quite a few power the house with a
        PV system and will have a generator just to run the well pump and as the
        backup supply.

        If you are connected to the grid, the best way to get the most energy and
        use out of PV panels is to use a grid-intertie setup. You won't save any
        money, but it will be greener energy, and you won't need batteries or
        related support equipment.

        Google can provide tons of info:
        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=solar+water+pumping

        Also, panel prices are continuing to slowly come down. You can get an idea
        at this site: http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm

        Hope that helps.

        James Ferrill

        At 08:27 PM 1/14/2003, noyes livingston wrote:
        >thank you very much for the links
        >I am a school teacher ( math ) and since I live < 2
        >miles from where I work, I am thinking about buying an
        >electric bike to practice what I preach. I chose the
        >link about Currie technologies! Thanks
        >
        >I have a paricular interest in two things
        >1) writing a grant to educate children (and adults)
        >on PV technology and other renewables so that I can
        >build a solar powered waterfall at our school and use
        >it as a piece of art that is pleasing to look at and
        >hear, as well as an educational demonstration. How do
        >I start and where would I begin?
        >
        >2) I have some pool pumps that I would like to take
        >off the grid and reduce some of my summer bills by
        >creating a simple circuit to run the pumps from PV
        >can it be done and how?
        >
        >I appreciate any feedback and I look foward to meeting
        >some of you at the meeting at TSU
        >
        >Noyes Livingston
        >noyesliv@...
      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2003
          In Vol. II of his "Earthship" design series, Michael Reynolds describes
          various system components for his home designs, including solar water
          systems of a variety of types. If interested in various solutions, I
          encourage you to look at the book (Solar Survival Press, ISBN
          0-9626767-1-3). According to Reynolds, the problem with conventional
          well pumps is that: (1) they pump water all the way from the pump to the
          pressured water lines, which takes a lot of power; (2) they require
          additional electricity when they first start up, which they do often
          during the day as they cycle on and off to meet water demands. These
          are the kinds of problems that James Ferrill is no doubt alluding to.
          Rather than despair, however, you may want to consider Reynolds
          solutions.

          One system he describes allegedly circumvents these problems by
          replacing the single conventional large pump with 2 small solar-powered
          DC pumps. The system is this:

          1. Submersible solar-powered DC pump #1 at the bottom of the well,
          pumping water up to a...
          2. Cistern. The cistern can be above ground or buried.
          3. Solar-powered DC pump #2 pumps water from the cistern into a
          pressure tank, which supplies the house.

          According to Reynolds, battery storage isn't necessary because the
          cistern is filled during the day when the sun is shining. "The pump can
          be very small because it doesn't have to produce waterline pressure from
          deep in the well. It simply has to trickle water into the cistern all
          day long. The water is then pumped from the cistern into a conventional
          pressure tank which pressurizes the water lines for domestic use. This
          pump is DC and also is much smaller and uses less electricity than the
          conventional AC pump deep in the well. Therefore, this method reduces
          the amount of electricity used every time water is needed as the two
          small pumps use much less electricity than the one large pump." (p. 32)
          Note that pump #2 is the only one that would draw off batteries (e.g.,
          at night), assuming the cistern is filled during the day.

          He describes other systems that are variants of this one. E.g.,
          rainwater catch systems to supplement it, or cisterns up a hill from the
          house so that gravity replaces the 2nd pump, etc.

          Hope this helps,

          Robert Johnston

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/