Re: [hreg] Updated bookmark file

  • Robert Bruce Warburton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2003
      Is there a site where someone can be contacted about coming out to inspect a
      site for evaluating the potential for solar or wind power? I was talking with a
      man in Bellville about the wind that his piece of land receives. His barn is
      being built above a large pasture. The wind at this site is so strong that he
      is having to build a huge barn with thick beams. The wind has been too much for
      his metal trailers. He also heard that someone built a underground home in the
      Conroe area and the problem with the home was that it was too hot in the summer
      but fine in winter. Are there some areas north of Houston that have significant
      geothermal heat?

      James Ferrill wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > Since I was on vacation, I spent some time on my bookmark file deleting
      > dead links and updating others. It's by no means a complete list of
      > anything, but it does have a lot of places to visit and all the links work.
      >
      > James Ferrill

      > bookmark.htmName: bookmark.htm
      > Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)
    • C.C. Foster
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
        Please contact me, Claude Foster, at Pioneer Power Company: 281-236-3579 (C)
        0r 281-595-2628 (O) to set up an appointment to discuss renewable source
        generation with your contact in Bellville.

        PS. We are open for resumes for our customer support service group. We are
        primarily interested in solar power for hot water heating and electrical
        generation.

        We would like to assess this site for wind generation as well as solar.

        >From: Robert Bruce Warburton <warbur2@...>
        >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [hreg] Updated bookmark file
        >Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 11:26:25 -0600
        >
        >Is there a site where someone can be contacted about coming out to inspect
        >site for evaluating the potential for solar or wind power? I was talking
        >with a
        >man in Bellville about the wind that his piece of land receives. His barn
        >is
        >being built above a large pasture. The wind at this site is so strong that
        >he
        >is having to build a huge barn with thick beams. The wind has been too much
        >for
        >his metal trailers. He also heard that someone built a underground home in
        >the
        >Conroe area and the problem with the home was that it was too hot in the
        >summer
        >but fine in winter. Are there some areas north of Houston that have
        >significant
        >geothermal heat?
        >
        >James Ferrill wrote:
        >
        > > All,
        > >
        > > Since I was on vacation, I spent some time on my bookmark file deleting
        > > dead links and updating others. It's by no means a complete list of
        > > anything, but it does have a lot of places to visit and all the links
        >work.
        > >
        > > James Ferrill
        > >

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > bookmark.htmName: bookmark.htm
        > > Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)

      • noyes livingston
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2003
          thank you very much for the links
          I am a school teacher ( math ) and since I live < 2
          miles from where I work, I am thinking about buying an
          electric bike to practice what I preach. I chose the
          link about Currie technologies! Thanks

          I have a paricular interest in two things
          1) writing a grant to educate children (and adults)
          on PV technology and other renewables so that I can
          build a solar powered waterfall at our school and use
          it as a piece of art that is pleasing to look at and
          hear, as well as an educational demonstration. How do
          I start and where would I begin?

          2) I have some pool pumps that I would like to take
          off the grid and reduce some of my summer bills by
          creating a simple circuit to run the pumps from PV
          can it be done and how?

          I appreciate any feedback and I look foward to meeting
          some of you at the meeting at TSU

          Noyes Livingston
          noyesliv@...

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Mike Ewert
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2003
            1) Depending on the size and complexity of the waterfall you want to build, the PV/pump part could be pretty easy.  My dad and I have made small fountains for his fish pond by using inexpensive bilge pumps and 10 watt PV panels.  Pick a 12 volt bilge pump with the flowrate you want, then get a PV panel rated at about twice as many amps as the pump.  That way it will pump nicely even at half sun.

            If you want a more elaborate system than you can do yourself and/or educational curriculum to go with it, then I suggest you contact CSG http://www.csgrp.com/ .  Their Austin office has installed several solar panels on schools.

            2) I have thought about PV for my pool pump too, but I'm not sure it's very practical.  Most pumps would take quite a large panel to run, not to mention they are all AC.  But, it does seem like a good application if it were properly engineered.  It might make a good HREG project sometime, so don't give up hope.

            Hope to see you at the meeting Sunday.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 20, 2003
              Noyes,

              Mike's right about the small pond pumps. You can set up a simple PV panel
              directly running a small DC pump and it will work well. Those pumps are
              small enough where nothing more than a panel is needed.

              Larger pumps are a different story. I once looked into what it would take
              to solar power something like a hot tub or pool pump and the amount of
              power required is substantial. Plus, the systems are complex because you
              have to have something that can handle the surge draw that a pump would
              take. From everything I've read, even water pumping from a simple well has
              been a challenge for many offgrid folks. Quite a few power the house with a
              PV system and will have a generator just to run the well pump and as the
              backup supply.

              If you are connected to the grid, the best way to get the most energy and
              use out of PV panels is to use a grid-intertie setup. You won't save any
              money, but it will be greener energy, and you won't need batteries or
              related support equipment.

              Google can provide tons of info:
              http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=solar+water+pumping

              Also, panel prices are continuing to slowly come down. You can get an idea
              at this site: http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm

              Hope that helps.

              James Ferrill

              At 08:27 PM 1/14/2003, noyes livingston wrote:
              >thank you very much for the links
              >I am a school teacher ( math ) and since I live < 2
              >miles from where I work, I am thinking about buying an
              >electric bike to practice what I preach. I chose the
              >link about Currie technologies! Thanks
              >
              >I have a paricular interest in two things
              >1) writing a grant to educate children (and adults)
              >on PV technology and other renewables so that I can
              >build a solar powered waterfall at our school and use
              >it as a piece of art that is pleasing to look at and
              >hear, as well as an educational demonstration. How do
              >I start and where would I begin?
              >
              >2) I have some pool pumps that I would like to take
              >off the grid and reduce some of my summer bills by
              >creating a simple circuit to run the pumps from PV
              >can it be done and how?
              >
              >I appreciate any feedback and I look foward to meeting
              >some of you at the meeting at TSU
              >
              >Noyes Livingston
              >noyesliv@...
            • Robert Johnston
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 21, 2003
                In Vol. II of his "Earthship" design series, Michael Reynolds describes
                various system components for his home designs, including solar water
                systems of a variety of types. If interested in various solutions, I
                encourage you to look at the book (Solar Survival Press, ISBN
                0-9626767-1-3). According to Reynolds, the problem with conventional
                well pumps is that: (1) they pump water all the way from the pump to the
                pressured water lines, which takes a lot of power; (2) they require
                additional electricity when they first start up, which they do often
                during the day as they cycle on and off to meet water demands. These
                are the kinds of problems that James Ferrill is no doubt alluding to.
                Rather than despair, however, you may want to consider Reynolds
                solutions.

                One system he describes allegedly circumvents these problems by
                replacing the single conventional large pump with 2 small solar-powered
                DC pumps. The system is this:

                1. Submersible solar-powered DC pump #1 at the bottom of the well,
                pumping water up to a...
                2. Cistern. The cistern can be above ground or buried.
                3. Solar-powered DC pump #2 pumps water from the cistern into a
                pressure tank, which supplies the house.

                According to Reynolds, battery storage isn't necessary because the
                cistern is filled during the day when the sun is shining. "The pump can
                be very small because it doesn't have to produce waterline pressure from
                deep in the well. It simply has to trickle water into the cistern all
                day long. The water is then pumped from the cistern into a conventional
                pressure tank which pressurizes the water lines for domestic use. This
                pump is DC and also is much smaller and uses less electricity than the
                conventional AC pump deep in the well. Therefore, this method reduces
                the amount of electricity used every time water is needed as the two
                small pumps use much less electricity than the one large pump." (p. 32)
                Note that pump #2 is the only one that would draw off batteries (e.g.,
                at night), assuming the cistern is filled during the day.

                He describes other systems that are variants of this one. E.g.,
                rainwater catch systems to supplement it, or cisterns up a hill from the
                house so that gravity replaces the 2nd pump, etc.

                Hope this helps,

                Robert Johnston