Re: [hreg] ethanol

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2002
      Ooops, sorry Jim, I mistakenly wrote "200 Trillion" in the text.  Thank you for the correction and the leads to other useful web sites. However, the number I used in the calculation was correct, 200 Billion or 2x10^11, so the point remains the same.  I asked the USDA about the 125 bu/acre figure and they replied that it (actually 127 for 2001) is the average yield of all harvested land in the US.  It does not include land with failed crops, land that was seeded but not harvested, land for buildings, roads, irrigation, etc.  So if you want to know how much land is needed, 100 bu/acre is more realistic.  Also, 2.5 gal/bu is the average number according to the USDA (www.usda.gov), I could only find 1 source out of nine that went has high as 2.69.  Energy content - using your numbers, I calculate ethanol has 78/115 = 2/3 the energy density.   The good news is that corn yields will increase as bioligists improve genetic engineering of the corn (maybe we should give genetic corn another name), and the fermentation process should improve with time; yes, the numbers 125 bu/acre and 2.7 gal/bu will probably be possible in a few years - even better with more time.  I think we are in agreement that our nation would benefit from some form of a Renewable Fuels Standard.
      -Chris Boyer