Re: [hreg] Re: BP Solar did you read & ethanol

  • Robert Bruce Warburton
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2002
      Check out the webmaster@... site. If this is true, I am wondering what would prevent someone developing a device that works sort of like an oxygen concentrator except instead of taking in air it would take in exhaust fumes from a vehicle, and instead of trapping the free nitrogen it traps hydrocarbons and allows the other emissions to go through the exhaust pipe. If the hydrocarbons were trapped over a long enough period, they could in combination with air produce electricity.

      The main problem with BP's thin film technology is that it, like all other thin film technologies, has not lived up to it's main promise of lower costs.  Very few thin film manufacturers are profitable, and BP is simply trying to cut it's losses.  The current PV market is being driven by large grid tied markets, especially in California, and the thin film products do not fit this scheme due to their larger size, and hence, higher installation costs per watt.