Re: [hreg] Renewable Energy Legislation

  • Robert Bruce Warburton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
      Did you read in the business section of the Houston Chronicle that the energy bill was dead for this year? On page 4C it aid that, " Lawmakers struggled for months to reach a compromise. But ultimately, the bill got hung up over some fairly arcane issues regarding electricity production from 'renewable' energy sources." There was also the controvesy over ethanol versus methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) versus ethanol as an additive. There are members of the U.S. House that are still pushing to extend the limits on liability for nuclear poer plant accidents.

       Thanks Pat.  As we learned last week at the information night sponsored by the Union of Concerned Scientists and the SEED coalition, H.R. 4 is particularly important in that the version passed by the Senate would set a 10% national standard for Renewables by 2020.  The House bill did not have this.Tom Delay is one of several from Texas on the conference committee.  Some of us from his district (22) plan to try and meet with him before he returns to Washington, so if you are a constituent and would like to join us, please let me know and I will include you in the plans.Thank you.Mike Ewertmewert@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
        No, I didn't see the Chronicle article, but I can tell you that after the announcement today of Tom Delay's appoinment as Majority Leader, most Renewable Energy Legislation will be buried in committee for some time.