Clean Air Policy Forum

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hello HREGers,
      Is everyone aware of this event? Anyone plan to attend?
      Charlie

    • Robert Bruce Warburton
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
        You can forget about any improvements in air quality over the next two years. There will be no money for T.E.R.P. with the impending enormous budget deficits and all Republican
        state office holders as well as Republican control of the legislature. They will ask for the elimination of the 2007 ozone standards that Texas was facing. The Bush administration and Republican controlled Congress will be more than happy to eliminate the standard. Also, they will eliminate the Partnership for a New Generation Vehicle (PNGV) program that Al Gore started. This program was designed to create automobiles that could get 70 miles a gallon. GM, Ford, and Daimler/Chrysler were talking about fuel efficiency of around sixty miles to the gallon. Since the election, do not expect to see anything other than the hybrid Escapes and Dodge Durangos from these companies. Nissan, Toyota, and Honda will still put money into these technologies. Other than fuel cell research, the so called "American Auto makers" will do nothing else but talk about the promise of fuel cells. That technology is not going to be available in automobiles this decade. As for federal energy research, expect a big increase in research on so called "clean coal technology." The renewables they will not spend much if anything on. They may spend money on nuclear fusion, new nuclear reactors, and drilling for oil and gas in deeper waters. There will be a new vote next year on opening up ANWR, and we might actually create an office on the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel. The incentives for electric vehicles will expire as planned.