Re: [hreg] FW: Installation

  • Kevin L. Conlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
      To elaborate on the earlier comments, latitude +15 is usually employed to
      provide maximum WINTER performance on a stand alone application, when days
      are short, atmospheric interference is at it's greatest, and cloudy days are
      more likely. This array angle positions the surface of the solar panel at a
      right angle with the sun (angle of incidence), so the panel works best in
      the middle of winter. During the summer, when the sun is more intense, days
      are longer and less cloudy, you do lose some power, but it is of no
      consequence, as the system will generally be fully changed by noon.. A
      stand alone PV system designed to work year round is always designed with
      winter conditions in mind, not summer or average annual insolation.
      I don't know of any maps that define insolation or wind speed by zip code,
      that would be too site specific, and almost impossible to account for micro
      climate conditions. Most people make the fundamental mistake of trying to
      size a PV system too closely, thinking they are making the best economic
      choice. Wrong. You must take into account system losses, battery aging,
      less than perfect site conditions, and gradual degradation of system
      performance, on the order of .5% to 1% per year.
      The most economic choice for a system will most likely be the most
      troublesome and costly over it's lifetime. We do offer a sizing matrix on
      our website for PV sizing that is based on old National Weather Service data
      collected by the University of Wisconsin. Although newer data shows greater
      insolation levels than we present, we have taken a conservative design
      approach, as we place greater emphasis on reliability and dependability than
      cost. This map and matrix have worked well for 15 years, as our systems
      have never failed due to sizing errors. You may view this map and our
      method at www.solarcraft.net/uni-pak/selection.html
      My point is, you should NEVER size a PV system without a safety margin, and
      searching for very local weather information may lead you down the wrong
      system design path.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
        For R.B. Wharton and those interested,

        This is an informative article on module orientation:

        http://www.homepower.com/files/pvangles.pdf

        Andrew H. McCalla
        Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
        P.O. Box 5810