Re: [hreg] FW: Installation

  • Steven Shepard
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
      Steve,

      I have system installations in Lufkin, Longview and Carthage.  Actually the home in Carthage was sold recently and I am not aware of the status on that system.

      I am reluctant to provide any more information because most of my customers would not want me sharing their name and location without their permission.

      SBT Designs
      25840 IH-10 West #1
      Boerne, Texas 78006
      210-698-7109
      FAX: 210-698-7147
      www.sbtdesigns.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
        Do the maps do a detemination of where a site by zip code or county would be viable for wind or solar power? I realize that in terms of average daily total radiation falling on a horiontal surface, that far west Texas south of New Mexico and or near the New Mexico border has over 20,000 kilojoules per square meter. Are there other considerations? Also, why is an angle of roof incline ideal if it is 15 degrees above the latitude and facing due south?Mike Ewert wrote:
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
          Here is a brief discussio regarding angle of solar panel orientation.

          Please reply to c_c_foster@... if you prefer to get more data
          without clutter on the common site.

          The orientation (15 + latitude) has been generally accepted to be a good
          comprimise to achieve high solar energy harvest. One corrloary that is
          important is the highest solar intensity is when the sun is directly in line
          with the solar receptor.

          Consider this example: your body can sense the solar energy is less early in
          the morning or late in the afternoon and greatest about noon. A body can
          sense, also, that the solar energy is greater when the sun is high above the
          southern horizon (summer).

          Although the solar receptor (photovoltaic) uses a different form of solar
          input, the energy produced by a solar harvestor in highest about noon when
          it receives direct rays from the sun.

          An active system that includes sun tracking to keep the solar receptor aimed
          at the sun is slightly more effective and much more expensive to build and
          maintain on earth. In some applications like the space vehicles, the value
          of aiming more than offsets the complexity and cost.

          Claude

          >From: Robert Bruce Warburton <warbur2@...>
          >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [hreg] FW: Installation
          >Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:46:23 -0600
          >
          >Do the maps do a detemination of where a site by zip code or county
          >would be viable for wind or solar power? I realize that in terms of
          >average daily total radiation falling on a horiontal surface, that far
          >west Texas south of New Mexico and or near the New Mexico border has
          >over 20,000 kilojoules per square meter. Are there other considerations?
          >Also, why is an angle of roof incline ideal if it is 15 degrees above
          >the latitude and facing due south?Mike Ewert wrote:
          >
          > > Virtus is the company that did the fine renewable energy resource maps
          > > featured on www.infinitepower.org If you can help them locate solar
          > > projects in east Texas, please e-mail Steve directly at the address
          > > below.

        • Kevin L. Conlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
            To elaborate on the earlier comments, latitude +15 is usually employed to
            provide maximum WINTER performance on a stand alone application, when days
            are short, atmospheric interference is at it's greatest, and cloudy days are
            more likely. This array angle positions the surface of the solar panel at a
            right angle with the sun (angle of incidence), so the panel works best in
            the middle of winter. During the summer, when the sun is more intense, days
            are longer and less cloudy, you do lose some power, but it is of no
            consequence, as the system will generally be fully changed by noon.. A
            stand alone PV system designed to work year round is always designed with
            winter conditions in mind, not summer or average annual insolation.
            I don't know of any maps that define insolation or wind speed by zip code,
            that would be too site specific, and almost impossible to account for micro
            climate conditions. Most people make the fundamental mistake of trying to
            size a PV system too closely, thinking they are making the best economic
            choice. Wrong. You must take into account system losses, battery aging,
            less than perfect site conditions, and gradual degradation of system
            performance, on the order of .5% to 1% per year.
            The most economic choice for a system will most likely be the most
            troublesome and costly over it's lifetime. We do offer a sizing matrix on
            our website for PV sizing that is based on old National Weather Service data
            collected by the University of Wisconsin. Although newer data shows greater
            insolation levels than we present, we have taken a conservative design
            approach, as we place greater emphasis on reliability and dependability than
            cost. This map and matrix have worked well for 15 years, as our systems
            have never failed due to sizing errors. You may view this map and our
            method at www.solarcraft.net/uni-pak/selection.html
            My point is, you should NEVER size a PV system without a safety margin, and
            searching for very local weather information may lead you down the wrong
            system design path.

            > Here is a brief discussio regarding angle of solar panel orientation.
            >
            > Please reply to c_c_foster@... if you prefer to get more data
            > without clutter on the common site.
            >
            > The orientation (15 + latitude) has been generally accepted to be a good
            > comprimise to achieve high solar energy harvest. One corrloary that is
            > important is the highest solar intensity is when the sun is directly in
            line
            > with the solar receptor.
            >
            > Consider this example: your body can sense the solar energy is less early
            in
            > the morning or late in the afternoon and greatest about noon. A body can
            > sense, also, that the solar energy is greater when the sun is high above
            the
            > southern horizon (summer).
            >
            > Although the solar receptor (photovoltaic) uses a different form of solar
            > input, the energy produced by a solar harvestor in highest about noon when
            > it receives direct rays from the sun.
            >
            > An active system that includes sun tracking to keep the solar receptor
            aimed
            > at the sun is slightly more effective and much more expensive to build and
            > maintain on earth. In some applications like the space vehicles, the value
            > of aiming more than offsets the complexity and cost.
            >
            > Claude
            >

            > >From: Robert Bruce Warburton <warbur2@...>
            > >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: Re: [hreg] FW: Installation
            > >Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:46:23 -0600
            > >
            > >Do the maps do a detemination of where a site by zip code or county
            > >would be viable for wind or solar power? I realize that in terms of
            > >average daily total radiation falling on a horiontal surface, that far
            > >west Texas south of New Mexico and or near the New Mexico border has
            > >over 20,000 kilojoules per square meter. Are there other considerations?
            > >Also, why is an angle of roof incline ideal if it is 15 degrees above
            > >the latitude and facing due south?Mike Ewert wrote:
            > >
            > > > Virtus is the company that did the fine renewable energy resource maps
            > > > featured on www.infinitepower.org If you can help them locate solar
            > > > projects in east Texas, please e-mail Steve directly at the address
            > > > below.

          • Andrew H. McCalla
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
              For R.B. Wharton and those interested,

              This is an informative article on module orientation:

              http://www.homepower.com/files/pvangles.pdf

              Andrew H. McCalla
              Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
              P.O. Box 5810