FW: Installation

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
      Virtus is the company that did the fine renewable energy resource maps featured on www.infinitepower.org  If you can help them locate solar projects in east Texas, please e-mail Steve directly at the address below.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
        Steve,

        I have system installations in Lufkin, Longview and Carthage.  Actually the home in Carthage was sold recently and I am not aware of the status on that system.

        I am reluctant to provide any more information because most of my customers would not want me sharing their name and location without their permission.

        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006
        210-698-7109
        FAX: 210-698-7147
        www.sbtdesigns.com
        Virtus is the company that did the fine renewable energy resource maps featured on www.infinitepower.org  If you can help them locate solar projects in east Texas, please e-mail Steve directly at the address below.
        My name is Steve Lain and I work with Virtus Energy Research Associates in Austin (Mike Sloan).  We are doing research on small scale renewable projects in TX.  Can you contact me about any installations you know about in the E Tx area?

        Thanks,

        Steve

      • Robert Bruce Warburton
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
          Do the maps do a detemination of where a site by zip code or county would be viable for wind or solar power? I realize that in terms of average daily total radiation falling on a horiontal surface, that far west Texas south of New Mexico and or near the New Mexico border has over 20,000 kilojoules per square meter. Are there other considerations? Also, why is an angle of roof incline ideal if it is 15 degrees above the latitude and facing due south?Mike Ewert wrote:
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
            Here is a brief discussio regarding angle of solar panel orientation.

            Please reply to c_c_foster@... if you prefer to get more data
            without clutter on the common site.

            The orientation (15 + latitude) has been generally accepted to be a good
            comprimise to achieve high solar energy harvest. One corrloary that is
            important is the highest solar intensity is when the sun is directly in line
            with the solar receptor.

            Consider this example: your body can sense the solar energy is less early in
            the morning or late in the afternoon and greatest about noon. A body can
            sense, also, that the solar energy is greater when the sun is high above the
            southern horizon (summer).

            Although the solar receptor (photovoltaic) uses a different form of solar
            input, the energy produced by a solar harvestor in highest about noon when
            it receives direct rays from the sun.

            An active system that includes sun tracking to keep the solar receptor aimed
            at the sun is slightly more effective and much more expensive to build and
            maintain on earth. In some applications like the space vehicles, the value
            of aiming more than offsets the complexity and cost.

            Claude

            >From: Robert Bruce Warburton <warbur2@...>
            >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [hreg] FW: Installation
            >Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:46:23 -0600
            >
            >Do the maps do a detemination of where a site by zip code or county
            >would be viable for wind or solar power? I realize that in terms of
            >average daily total radiation falling on a horiontal surface, that far
            >west Texas south of New Mexico and or near the New Mexico border has
            >over 20,000 kilojoules per square meter. Are there other considerations?
            >Also, why is an angle of roof incline ideal if it is 15 degrees above
            >the latitude and facing due south?Mike Ewert wrote:
            >
            > > Virtus is the company that did the fine renewable energy resource maps
            > > featured on www.infinitepower.org If you can help them locate solar
            > > projects in east Texas, please e-mail Steve directly at the address
            > > below.

          • Kevin L. Conlin
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
              To elaborate on the earlier comments, latitude +15 is usually employed to
              provide maximum WINTER performance on a stand alone application, when days
              are short, atmospheric interference is at it's greatest, and cloudy days are
              more likely. This array angle positions the surface of the solar panel at a
              right angle with the sun (angle of incidence), so the panel works best in
              the middle of winter. During the summer, when the sun is more intense, days
              are longer and less cloudy, you do lose some power, but it is of no
              consequence, as the system will generally be fully changed by noon.. A
              stand alone PV system designed to work year round is always designed with
              winter conditions in mind, not summer or average annual insolation.
              I don't know of any maps that define insolation or wind speed by zip code,
              that would be too site specific, and almost impossible to account for micro
              climate conditions. Most people make the fundamental mistake of trying to
              size a PV system too closely, thinking they are making the best economic
              choice. Wrong. You must take into account system losses, battery aging,
              less than perfect site conditions, and gradual degradation of system
              performance, on the order of .5% to 1% per year.
              The most economic choice for a system will most likely be the most
              troublesome and costly over it's lifetime. We do offer a sizing matrix on
              our website for PV sizing that is based on old National Weather Service data
              collected by the University of Wisconsin. Although newer data shows greater
              insolation levels than we present, we have taken a conservative design
              approach, as we place greater emphasis on reliability and dependability than
              cost. This map and matrix have worked well for 15 years, as our systems
              have never failed due to sizing errors. You may view this map and our
              method at www.solarcraft.net/uni-pak/selection.html
              My point is, you should NEVER size a PV system without a safety margin, and
              searching for very local weather information may lead you down the wrong
              system design path.

              > Here is a brief discussio regarding angle of solar panel orientation.
              >
              > Please reply to c_c_foster@... if you prefer to get more data
              > without clutter on the common site.
              >
              > The orientation (15 + latitude) has been generally accepted to be a good
              > comprimise to achieve high solar energy harvest. One corrloary that is
              > important is the highest solar intensity is when the sun is directly in
              line
              > with the solar receptor.
              >
              > Consider this example: your body can sense the solar energy is less early
              in
              > the morning or late in the afternoon and greatest about noon. A body can
              > sense, also, that the solar energy is greater when the sun is high above
              the
              > southern horizon (summer).
              >
              > Although the solar receptor (photovoltaic) uses a different form of solar
              > input, the energy produced by a solar harvestor in highest about noon when
              > it receives direct rays from the sun.
              >
              > An active system that includes sun tracking to keep the solar receptor
              aimed
              > at the sun is slightly more effective and much more expensive to build and
              > maintain on earth. In some applications like the space vehicles, the value
              > of aiming more than offsets the complexity and cost.
              >
              > Claude
              >

              > >From: Robert Bruce Warburton <warbur2@...>
              > >To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: Re: [hreg] FW: Installation
              > >Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:46:23 -0600
              > >
              > >Do the maps do a detemination of where a site by zip code or county
              > >would be viable for wind or solar power? I realize that in terms of
              > >average daily total radiation falling on a horiontal surface, that far
              > >west Texas south of New Mexico and or near the New Mexico border has
              > >over 20,000 kilojoules per square meter. Are there other considerations?
              > >Also, why is an angle of roof incline ideal if it is 15 degrees above
              > >the latitude and facing due south?Mike Ewert wrote:
              > >
              > > > Virtus is the company that did the fine renewable energy resource maps
              > > > featured on www.infinitepower.org If you can help them locate solar
              > > > projects in east Texas, please e-mail Steve directly at the address
              > > > below.

            • Andrew H. McCalla
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
                For R.B. Wharton and those interested,

                This is an informative article on module orientation:

                http://www.homepower.com/files/pvangles.pdf

                Andrew H. McCalla
                Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
                P.O. Box 5810