Solar Home Competition; The Mall, Washington DC

  • houtextml
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2002
      Hi Group,

      Does anyone have the website link(s) that deal with the college solar
      home competition where homes were recently built and demonstrated on
      the Mall in DC? Thanks.
    • NIELSEN, PAUL C. (JSC-NC) (SAIC)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 23, 2002
        Here is a website that I found:

        http://www.eren.doe.gov/solar_decathlon/

        -Paul

        Does anyone have the website link(s) that deal with the college solar
        home competition where homes were recently built and demonstrated on
        the Mall in DC? Thanks.

      • Andrew H. McCalla
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2002

          Please see below for an additional link to the Solar Decathlon.
          Specifically, the UT site:

          http://mather.ar.utexas.edu/cadlab/decathlon/7Contest/contest.html

          By all accounts, the event was a tremendous success. As sponsors of the
          photovoltaic component on UT's entry, we were relieved to have the
          system operational prior to departure for the contest, and to have it
          pass inspection and operate according to design in D.C..

          However, such an incredible amount of work went into all aspects of
          this, and presumably all entries, that every student should receive a
          medal of some sort. The educational value of their experience with the
          hands-on creation and assembly of these building systems is
          incalculable.

          Andrew H. McCalla
          Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
          P.O. Box 5810
          Austin, TX 78763
          (512) 477-3050
        • Robert Bruce Warburton
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2002
            Did you read the article recently about the European Union trying to set a
            goal of obtaining 22% of its electricity and 12 percent of all energy from
            renewable sources by 2010. This was in Sunday's Houston Chronicle on page 9D.
            I would like to make it to the meeting on the 27th, but if I have to work at
            the Texas Renaissance Festival Sunday, I won't be able to make it. Don't
            forget about the Senatorial debate at 7:00 P.M. on channel 8 the 23rd.

            "Andrew H. McCalla" wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > Please see below for an additional link to the Solar Decathlon.
            > Specifically, the UT site:
            >
            > http://mather.ar.utexas.edu/cadlab/decathlon/7Contest/contest.html
            >
            > By all accounts, the event was a tremendous success. As sponsors of the
            > photovoltaic component on UT's entry, we were relieved to have the
            > system operational prior to departure for the contest, and to have it
            > pass inspection and operate according to design in D.C..
            >
            > However, such an incredible amount of work went into all aspects of
            > this, and presumably all entries, that every student should receive a
            > medal of some sort. The educational value of their experience with the
            > hands-on creation and assembly of these building systems is
            > incalculable.
            >
            > Andrew H. McCalla
            > Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
            > P.O. Box 5810
            > Austin, TX 78763
            > (512) 477-3050

          • Robert Bruce Warburton
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2002
              How can I contact Auburn about their home which came in third?
              Sincerely,
              Robert Warburton