RE: [hreg] Fw: Virus

  • C. Terry Ross
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
      McAfee says that this is a hoax virus. See the following:
      http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99436

      Terry

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
        I hate to say it, but this is a hoax. It's been floating around for a couple
        of years. The file in question is *supposed to be there*. It's a
        Java-related file. It's not that big of a deal if you have deleted it,
        although you may have some trouble with Java apps. If you're having a
        problem, check Microsoft's website for information on how to restore that
        file.

        On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Jim Akkerman wrote:

        > Hey,
        > This could be a real problem. I followed Steve's instructions listed below
        > and found the virus just as he described ... and deleted it. I thought my
        > system was protected by Norton. Norton checks every outgoing message
        > automatically ... but apparently they aren't "up to speed" on this one yet.
        >
        > Looking forward ... and up,
        > Jim

        Never ascribe to malice what can be perfectly
        well be explained by stupidity. -- Anonymous