Re: [hreg] Houston Sustainability Conference 2002

  • Robert Bruce Warburton
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2002
      There was an article in the American Spectator written in the May/June 2002
      edition called "Use the Force Oil's too political. Coal's too dirty. Solar,
      wind, hydro-they're all just green dreams. Hydrogen is lovely stuff, but it
      takes energy to make it. It's time Americans learn to stop worrying and love
      nuclear power." I know the Spectator is pretty far to the right, but from their
      information an argument could be made for renewables. They made a mistake by
      comparing Vermont to California. Vermont is the least urbanized state in the
      nation and one of the least populated as well. Secondly, Vermont, even in
      percentage terms, has not grown anywhere near as fast as California from the
      1980s on. The article mentions Amory Lovins' Soft Energy Path book. Since
      Lovins is going to be one of the speakers on Tuesday at the School of Public
      Health in Houston, it might be beneficial to read the article. Obviously the
      article is incredibly bias toward nuclear fission, but they make the point that
      we have to move away from oil as well.