Houston Sustainability Conference 2002

  • Brian Herod
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      I'm new to this group, but would like to take the time to invite everyone
      to the Houston Sustainability Conference 2002. It's a day long conference
      that promises to be exciting and challenging for all the
      participants. I've included information about the event below. You can
      register at http://www.evite.com/myth@.../sustainable . If you
      have any questions, let me know.

      thanks,

      Brian Herod
      713-480-6303
      myth@...

      Houston Sustainability Conference 2002

      Join a diverse slice of Houston's many communities to discuss and define
      sustainability and plan ways to encourage it in Houston. Topics include:
      local economics, globalization, ecology/environment, business
      practices/development, peace and social justice, health/healing, community,
      personal growth, and spirituality. Bring your opinions, facts, passion, and
      stewardship to this one day conference. Throughout the day, we will break
      out into small groups to cover topics of shared interest.

      When: Oct. 5, 2002 9 am to 6 pm
      Where: Grace Lutheran Church, 2515 Waugh at Missouri
      This event is organized by Houston Sustainability Network.
      How much: $5-$10 donation to pay for the facilities
      Lunch: bring food to share or eat out.
      Space is limited to 75 participants.
      To register: http://www.evite.com/myth@.../sustainable or
      contact Brian Herod at myth@... or 713-480-6303
    • Robert Bruce Warburton
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2002
        There was an article in the American Spectator written in the May/June 2002
        edition called "Use the Force Oil's too political. Coal's too dirty. Solar,
        wind, hydro-they're all just green dreams. Hydrogen is lovely stuff, but it
        takes energy to make it. It's time Americans learn to stop worrying and love
        nuclear power." I know the Spectator is pretty far to the right, but from their
        information an argument could be made for renewables. They made a mistake by
        comparing Vermont to California. Vermont is the least urbanized state in the
        nation and one of the least populated as well. Secondly, Vermont, even in
        percentage terms, has not grown anywhere near as fast as California from the
        1980s on. The article mentions Amory Lovins' Soft Energy Path book. Since
        Lovins is going to be one of the speakers on Tuesday at the School of Public
        Health in Houston, it might be beneficial to read the article. Obviously the
        article is incredibly bias toward nuclear fission, but they make the point that
        we have to move away from oil as well.