Electric Choice

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6 9:25 PM
      Remember that in Texas we now have the freedom to choose where we buy
      electricity. And a major factor we should consider is how that electricity
      is generated. Providers are required to provide an energy facts label,
      which can be viewed at the PUC website www.powertochoose.org.

      A good percentage of people who have switched have chosen wind energy, but
      unfortunately very few people have switched. For 1000 kWh per month,
      Reliant is $91 and Green Mountain is $92. In the emissions category,
      however, there is a big difference since Reliant uses about half coal plants
      and Green Mountain is 100% wind. If more people would switch to renewable
      power, this would send a message to the industry and to our leaders.

      Another place to learn more about Electric Choice is http://www.green-e.org/
    • Kim & Garth Travis
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7 5:48 AM
        Actually that should read, "in Texas cities..." Those of us in rural
        situations still have only 2 choices, the standard provider or off grid.
        I am glad to see some choice available, I wish it was available to all
        of us. Our local coop has a policy that if there is a sign on the
        place, it is a business and pays a surcharge of 20%, even when it is
        just the name of the farm or ranch.
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

      • chasmauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7 6:51 AM
          In a message dated 9/6/02 11:27:01 PM Central Daylight Time, mewert@... writes:

          Remember that in Texas we now have the freedom to choose where we buy
          electricity.  And a major factor we should consider is how that electricity
          is generated.  Providers are required to provide an energy facts label,
          which can be viewed at the PUC website www.powertochoose.org.

          A good percentage of people who have switched have chosen wind energy, but
          unfortunately very few people have switched.  For 1000 kWh per month,
          Reliant is $91 and Green Mountain is $92.  In the emissions category,
          however, there is a big difference since Reliant uses about half coal plants
          and Green Mountain is 100% wind.  If more people would switch to renewable
          power, this would send a message to the industry and to our leaders.

          Mike,

          Like you, I think it would be great if more people would switch. My suspicion is that people are confused. They hear stories that Green Mountain is a rip-off, their energy does not really come from wind, and so on - it's amazing all the weird stuff I have heard that lots of people seem to believe.

          Of course it's true that for people in Houston to switch to GM does not directly and immediately improve air quality in Houston - we still get power generated by Reliant. It is an exchange - somewhere (probably in NW Texas) an amount of clean power equal to what we use is put into the grid so there is overall progress in the "big picture" that will ultimately help us. It's a simple concept but lots of folks don't seem to understand it and feel that it's somehow a fraud if every electron of energy they get doesn't come directly from wind.

          Likewise the cost comparisons are confusing. People can go to various websites and do the calculations for their own situation but they are too busy, too lazy, too mathematically challenged, or just too indifferent to do that. Your numbers look great ($91 for Reliant and $92 for GM based on 1000 kWh per month) but what we really need is for someone to simplify the whole process. You shouldn't have to do this but I know from similar situations that you just have to do it. I'm sure GM spends a lot on marketing but they don't seem to realize these basic problems and that folks like us who would spread the story to our friends and relatives by word of mouth would be their best and most credible advertising.

          Some curves would be best, showing how Reliant and GM costs vary with usage from say 500 to 1500 kWh per month. Tie it all up in a neat bundle and then we could all forward it to every person and every list we are on. Of course GM should be doing this - providing all the basic info and data so we could just spread it around - but if they are, I am not aware of it, so it would be great if one of our people could work up something like this. Or better yet, go beat on GM and convince them that they need to do it. Is anyone willing and able to do this?

          Charlie
        • Steven Shepard
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7 4:28 PM
            Even that would not be accurate. There is no choice in San Antonio. It is
            the city owned utility CPS or renewables. CPS is now marketing like crazy
            trying to portray themselves as the utility with the warm fuzzy center.
            They are a government owned monopoly no matter how you look at them. I got
            rid of them at my office and look forward to getting rid of them from my
            home.

            SBT Designs
            25840 IH-10 West #1
            Boerne, Texas 78006
            210-698-7109
            FAX: 210-698-7147
            www.sbtdesigns.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7 5:06 PM
              When one makes an assumption, one can be wrong. Sorry, I didn't know.
              Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all had the choice.
              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8 4:08 PM
                Sorry I didn't mention that in the first place since we have several members around the state.  Everyone who currently has Reliant (or one of a few other companies regulated by the PUC) can choose.