Volunteerism

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2002
      I am going to ask each of you to resolve to volunteer for at least one thing
      to help HREG in the next year - call it the school year for reference, since
      it is that time of year. We have over 200 members, so imagine what that
      would mean! On the other hand, if only 2 or 3 of us try to get things done,
      then :(

      At the moment we have quite a few opportunities, and I will also list
      several that you can do at your convenience. So, please e-mail me
      (mewert@...) when you can help. Thank you very much.

      HREG Volunteer Opportunities

      HREG Officers: We are currently without a vice-president. We also plan to
      have elections at our January meeting for next year's officers (President,
      v.p., sec./treas. & TXSES board rep.).

      Roundup: Sept. 20-22 any day, Help out in Fredricksburg. See attached
      message for details on how to sign up and please let me know if you do.

      Bonnie Raitt concert: Afternoon/evening Sept. 3rd. Country music fans this
      one's for you. Or maybe someone who lives on the north side of town. See
      details at the end of this message.

      Solar Cars: We own 25 solar model car kits that can be borrowed to do
      educational projects with schools (4th - 9th grade recommended) or other
      youth groups. If you would like to initiate a project with a group, talk to
      me for details.

      Answer HREG e-mail: e-mail sent to hreg@... through our website has to
      be answered by someone. You can do this from home, but you should have a
      little renewable energy knowledge (you can always ask for help) and good
      judgment to field the variety of e-mail we get [only a few per week].

      Earth Share: Please join us for an Earth Share of Texas campaign workshop
      from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, September 12 in the upstairs CEC board
      room at the Houston Environmental Center, 3015 Richmond. This is your
      chance to learn or get refresher tips about boothsmithing and making
      campaign presentations for your organization and Earth Share of Texas.

      Thank you,
      Mike Ewert
      HREG President
      mewert@...
      Bonnie Raitt details:
      I now have the details for volunteering and need confirmation of your
      commitment or not because they require a list of names to get passes. They
      would like 4-6 in Houston, so if you know of others please tell me
      immediately.

      Woodlands, TX
      Date: Tuesday, Sept. 3rd
      Venue: Cynthia Woods Pavilion
      Address: 2005 Lake Robbins Dr., Woodlands, TX
      Arrival Time: 4:30 p.m.
      Parking Instructions: no special parking privileges

      Go to the Backstage Gate, located outside the Woodfest Bank Lounge. Ask
      for
      Chester who'll have the list of volunteers and will issue your passes.
      Find
      the Green Highway exhibit area. Sara Bennett is the event coordinator
      and
      the person you should seek out with questions or problems.

      The public gates open at 5:30, so that is why the early arrival time is
      required. Volunteers have to be checked in and at the booth before the
      gates
      open. If this information changes your ability to volunteer, I understand.
      Please let me know directly one way or the other, though, and if you want to
      bring a friend/partner/spouse along it would be fine. I will need exact
      names
      for everyone so they get passes.

      Whoever does this, Kathryn will need a shipping address to send you the
      brochures
      about the Roundup and TXSES brochures to pass out.

      Bonnie Raitt for years has been a huge advocate and supporter of
      environmental causes. Through her advocacy she has embraced alternative
      energy sources as well as environmental consciousness. This year she has
      extended a very limited opportunity to appropriate companies to participate
      in her upcoming tour with Lyle Lovitt.

      The theme 'Green Highway Tour' represents the values of the tour in respect
      to hybrid vehicles, alternative fuel sources and environmental
      responsibility in a world desperately in need of it. Within the tour there
      will be a breeze way or pavilion that concert goers will be required to walk
      through on their way to enjoy the concert. Here's where you come in: ASES
      is part of this and we need 4-6 people at each concert to help staff the
      ASES booth. Each will receive a pass for entrance to the concert. We will
      attempt to promote new ASES members and SOLAR TODAY subscribers from this
      effort.

      The rules are simple, we must try and have one person at the booth at all
      times – prior to the show, at intermission and after the show it should be
      staffed with up to four folks. For those locations where we are unable to
      staff the booth, the tour says they can provide one volunteer . Once the
      show is over, the tour crew will box up the display, load it on the tour
      truck and take it to the next venue.
    • Robert Bruce Warburton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2002
        I will have to check with my boss to see if they will have a shift on Monday. If
        there is no shift on Monday, then everyone will be scheduled to work on Tuesday,
        Wednesday, and Thursday of that week. If they will have a shift on Labor Day and
        I work that day, I can ask for September 3rd off. I assume we are talking about
        working in the evenings? As for the Roundup, my mother is scheduled to go in for
        surgery on the 23rd and I will start at the Texas Renaissance Festival on the
        28th, so it will not be possible for me take off from the 20-22.
        Sincerely,
        Robert Warburton

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2002
          Please take me off your subscription and email list.
          Sandy4999@...