RE: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
      The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
      information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
      renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
      and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
      standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
      Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
      such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
      from Texas are on the conference committee.

      Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
      wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
      the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
      transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
      That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
      only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

      After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
      Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
      the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
      know that we support renewable energy!

      Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002
      7:30 PM Community of the Servant-Savior, 11303 Hughes Rd.

      Dallas/Ft. Worth - Wednesday, August 21, 2002 _
      7:00 PM La Calle Dolce,1925 Skillman (at Skillman and Live Oak)

      Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002
      7:00 PM Covenant Presbyterian Church 4600 48th St. Lubbock

      For more information, contact Texas Impact at 512.472.3903, or email us at