Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • Kevin L. Conlin
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
      Hi Christine, I wish I could, but policy is not my forte. Russel Smith in
      Austin is the most knowledgeable person I know that might be able to help.
      Hope this helps, good luck with your iniative! best Regards, Kevin

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
        The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
        information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
        renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
        and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
        standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
        Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
        such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
        from Texas are on the conference committee.

        Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
        wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
        the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
        transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
        That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
        only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

        After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
        Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
        the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
        know that we support renewable energy!
        www.ucsusa.org

        I am planning to go to this meeting Tuesday. I found out that the speakers
        will be
        Peter Altman - SEED
        Debra Duncan - Union of Concerned Scientists

        Also, here is additional information from Nan Hildreth:
        Although it doesn't make it very clear, the purpose of Tuesday event is to
        explain the wind power legislation. It would expand Texas law requiring a

        Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002

        Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002