Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • Christine Jerko
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
      Mike,
      I really wanted to attend this meeting last night to find out more about
      newable energy legislation, particulary in Texas. Was there any
      documentation?
      Thanks,
      Christine Jerko

    • Kevin L. Conlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
        Hi Christine, I wish I could, but policy is not my forte. Russel Smith in
        Austin is the most knowledgeable person I know that might be able to help.
        Hope this helps, good luck with your iniative! best Regards, Kevin

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
          The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
          information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
          renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
          and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
          standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
          Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
          such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
          from Texas are on the conference committee.

          Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
          wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
          the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
          transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
          That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
          only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

          After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
          Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
          the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
          know that we support renewable energy!
          www.ucsusa.org

          Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002

          Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002