Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • Christine Jerko
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
      Kevin,
      Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will be
      looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
      proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
      looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
      Thanks,
      Christine

    • Christine Jerko
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
        Mike,
        I really wanted to attend this meeting last night to find out more about
        newable energy legislation, particulary in Texas. Was there any
        documentation?
        Thanks,
        Christine Jerko

      • Kevin L. Conlin
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
          Hi Christine, I wish I could, but policy is not my forte. Russel Smith in
          Austin is the most knowledgeable person I know that might be able to help.
          Hope this helps, good luck with your iniative! best Regards, Kevin

          > Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will
          be
          > looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
          > proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
          > looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
          > Thanks,
          > Christine
          >

          > >From: "Kevin L. Conlin" <kconlin@...>
          > >To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston
          > >Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:19:30 -0500
          > >
          > >Thanks, Mike, please let us know how it goes. Regards, kevin

        • Mike Ewert
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
            The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
            information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
            renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
            and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
            standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
            Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
            such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
            from Texas are on the conference committee.

            Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
            wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
            the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
            transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
            That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
            only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

            After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
            Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
            the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
            know that we support renewable energy!
            www.ucsusa.org

            Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002

            Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002