Re: Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • mark r. johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
      --- In hreg@y..., "Mike Ewert" <mewert@h...> wrote:
      > I am planning to go to this meeting Tuesday. I found out that the
      speakers
      > will be
      > Peter Altman - SEED
      > Debra Duncan - Union of Concerned Scientists
      >
      > Also, here is additional information from Nan Hildreth:
      > Although it doesn't make it very clear, the purpose of Tuesday event
      is to
      > explain the wind power legislation. It would expand Texas law
      requiring a
      > renewable component in electricity to the nation. Texas stands to
      profit
      > from it as a wind power exporter...

      Let me point out a problem here, I am only trying to clarify although
      the news is not encouraging. Texas lacks the physical capability to
      export significant amounts of power -- not through lack of generating
      capacity but through lack of inter-connection with other states. There
      are only a handful of connections that could every export to other
      states.

      This is by design, for better or worse (I don't know which) the system
      which administers the long distance wires in Texas (ERCOT, or Electric
      Reliability Council of Texas) *wants* Texas to be an island compared
      to other states. This dates back to thinking after the New York
      blackout in the 1960's, as I see it ERCOT feels it can be more
      reliable when nothing outside the state is of material effect.

      So before any significant power exports can benefit Texas, we have to
      have a revolutionary change in the thinking and operations of ERCOT.

      Glum news but hope it helps -- Mark J.
    • Christine Jerko
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
        Kevin,
        Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will be
        looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
        proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
        looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
        Thanks,
        Christine

      • Christine Jerko
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
          Mike,
          I really wanted to attend this meeting last night to find out more about
          newable energy legislation, particulary in Texas. Was there any
          documentation?
          Thanks,
          Christine Jerko

        • Kevin L. Conlin
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
            Hi Christine, I wish I could, but policy is not my forte. Russel Smith in
            Austin is the most knowledgeable person I know that might be able to help.
            Hope this helps, good luck with your iniative! best Regards, Kevin

            > Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will
            be
            > looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
            > proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
            > looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
            > Thanks,
            > Christine
            >

            > >From: "Kevin L. Conlin" <kconlin@...>
            > >To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston
            > >Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:19:30 -0500
            > >
            > >Thanks, Mike, please let us know how it goes. Regards, kevin

          • Mike Ewert
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
              The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
              information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
              renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
              and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
              standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
              Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
              such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
              from Texas are on the conference committee.

              Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
              wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
              the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
              transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
              That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
              only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

              After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
              Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
              the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
              know that we support renewable energy!
              www.ucsusa.org

              Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002

              Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002