Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • Kevin L. Conlin
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
      Thanks, Mike, please let us know how it goes. Regards, kevin

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
        I plan to make it to this meeting too. See you there, Mike, and hopefully other HREGers.
        Charlie
      • mark r. johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
          --- In hreg@y..., "Mike Ewert" <mewert@h...> wrote:
          > I am planning to go to this meeting Tuesday. I found out that the
          speakers
          > will be
          > Peter Altman - SEED
          > Debra Duncan - Union of Concerned Scientists
          >
          > Also, here is additional information from Nan Hildreth:
          > Although it doesn't make it very clear, the purpose of Tuesday event
          is to
          > explain the wind power legislation. It would expand Texas law
          requiring a
          > renewable component in electricity to the nation. Texas stands to
          profit
          > from it as a wind power exporter...

          Let me point out a problem here, I am only trying to clarify although
          the news is not encouraging. Texas lacks the physical capability to
          export significant amounts of power -- not through lack of generating
          capacity but through lack of inter-connection with other states. There
          are only a handful of connections that could every export to other
          states.

          This is by design, for better or worse (I don't know which) the system
          which administers the long distance wires in Texas (ERCOT, or Electric
          Reliability Council of Texas) *wants* Texas to be an island compared
          to other states. This dates back to thinking after the New York
          blackout in the 1960's, as I see it ERCOT feels it can be more
          reliable when nothing outside the state is of material effect.

          So before any significant power exports can benefit Texas, we have to
          have a revolutionary change in the thinking and operations of ERCOT.

          Glum news but hope it helps -- Mark J.
        • Christine Jerko
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
            Kevin,
            Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will be
            looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
            proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
            looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
            Thanks,
            Christine

          • Christine Jerko
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
              Mike,
              I really wanted to attend this meeting last night to find out more about
              newable energy legislation, particulary in Texas. Was there any
              documentation?
              Thanks,
              Christine Jerko

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                Hi Christine, I wish I could, but policy is not my forte. Russel Smith in
                Austin is the most knowledgeable person I know that might be able to help.
                Hope this helps, good luck with your iniative! best Regards, Kevin

                > Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will
                be
                > looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
                > proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
                > looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
                > Thanks,
                > Christine
                >

                > >From: "Kevin L. Conlin" <kconlin@...>
                > >To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
                > >Subject: Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy Night in Houston
                > >Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:19:30 -0500
                > >
                > >Thanks, Mike, please let us know how it goes. Regards, kevin

              • Mike Ewert
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                  The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
                  information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
                  renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
                  and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
                  standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
                  Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
                  such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
                  from Texas are on the conference committee.

                  Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
                  wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
                  the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
                  transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
                  That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
                  only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

                  After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
                  Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
                  the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
                  know that we support renewable energy!
                  www.ucsusa.org

                  Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002

                  Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002