Re: [hreg] Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • Robert Bruce Warburton
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2002
      You might try E-mailing this notice to a Dr. Thomas Matney at the School of
      Public Health in Houston. He is a professor in the environmental science module.
      His E-mail is tmackey@.... Maybe the school might be interested in
      posting the meeting in the school's student mailboxes. The place to contact
      would be Student Affairs on the second floor of the Stallones building. I do
      have a number for the Coordinator of Enrollment Services Office of Student &
      Alumni Affairs, her name is Sema H. Spigner and the phone number is (713)
      500-9031. I also have her E-mail at sspigner@.... That is if she is
      still there.

      Mike Ewert wrote:

      > The SEED coalition (Sustainable Energy and Economic Development) and experts
      > from the Union of Concerned Scientists will present:
      > Renewable Energy Night
      > Tuesday August 20, 2002
      > 7:30pm
      > Community of the Servant-Savior
      > 11303 Hughes Rd.
      > Houston, TX
      >
      > The presentation will focus on the economic benefits of clean energy for
      > Texas. Similar events will be held in Dallas, Longview and Lubbock.
      >
      > For more information about the sponsoring organization, see
      > www.seedcoalition.org and www.cooltexas.net
      >
      > It would be great to have a large HREG turn out at this event to learn and
      > to meet others working toward a brighter energy future!

    • Steven Shepard
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2002
        Would someone be so kind as to ask UCCS if they would consider doing a
        presentation in San Antonio? I would be willing to host it.

        BTW, I finally got permission from my landlord to install a power system in
        my
        office. So far we have a Trace 5548 (used) and sixteen T105 Trojan
        batteries installed. We are waiting on a mount for our modules. Right now
        our inverter is operating in LBX mode which allows us to run from batteries
        until they are depeleted down to 44VDC then the inverter automatically
        switches back to the grid. It is great not be operating on utility power!

        Happy Day!

        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006
        210-698-7109
        FAX: 210-698-7147
        www.sbtdesigns.com
        > The SEED coalition (Sustainable Energy and Economic Development) and
        experts
        > from the Union of Concerned Scientists will present:
        > Renewable Energy Night
        > Tuesday August 20, 2002
        > 7:30pm
        > Community of the Servant-Savior
        > 11303 Hughes Rd.
        > Houston, TX
        >
        > The presentation will focus on the economic benefits of clean energy for
        > Texas. Similar events will be held in Dallas, Longview and Lubbock.
        >
        > For more information about the sponsoring organization, see
        > www.seedcoalition.org and www.cooltexas.net
        >
        > It would be great to have a large HREG turn out at this event to learn and
        > to meet others working toward a brighter energy future!

      • Mike Ewert
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 19, 2002
          I am planning to go to this meeting Tuesday. I found out that the speakers
          will be
          Peter Altman - SEED
          Debra Duncan - Union of Concerned Scientists

          Also, here is additional information from Nan Hildreth:
          Although it doesn't make it very clear, the purpose of Tuesday event is to
          explain the wind power legislation. It would expand Texas law requiring a
          renewable component in electricity to the nation. Texas stands to profit
          from it as a wind power exporter. DeLay is on a key subcommittee about
          this regulation.

          Renewable energy is reducing pollution and creating jobs all over Texas.
          Thanks to the 1999 Texas Legislature, utility companies in Texas are
          required to get some of their power from clean, renewable sources like wind
          and solar energy.

          Right now Congress is in recess, but when they get back to Washington next
          month, they will consider legislation to boost renewable energy use all over
          the U.S. with the same kinds of policies that have worked here in Texas.
          Boosting renewable energy use in other states spells economic benefit for
          Texas, because our state is a leader in renewable energy resources.
          What kinds of renewable energy are there in Texas?
          Exactly what kind of jobs do renewables create?
          How can Texans start powering their homes, churches and offices with clean,
          renewable energy?
          Find out the answers to these and all your other renewable energy questions
          at

          RENEWABLE REVOLUTION NIGHT

          East Texas/Longview - Thursday, August 22
          7:00 PM North East Texas Group of the Sierra Club
          Northwood Baptist Church 3900 Tyron Road (1.2 miles North of Loop 281)

          Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002
          7:30 PM Community of the Servant-Savior, 11303 Hughes Rd.

          Dallas/Ft. Worth - Wednesday, August 21, 2002 _
          7:00 PM La Calle Dolce,1925 Skillman (at Skillman and Live Oak)

          Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002
          7:00 PM Covenant Presbyterian Church 4600 48th St. Lubbock

          For more information, contact Texas Impact at 512.472.3903, or email us at
          action@...

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
            Thanks, Mike, please let us know how it goes. Regards, kevin

          • chasmauch@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
              I plan to make it to this meeting too. See you there, Mike, and hopefully other HREGers.
              Charlie
            • mark r. johnson
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                --- In hreg@y..., "Mike Ewert" <mewert@h...> wrote:
                > I am planning to go to this meeting Tuesday. I found out that the
                speakers
                > will be
                > Peter Altman - SEED
                > Debra Duncan - Union of Concerned Scientists
                >
                > Also, here is additional information from Nan Hildreth:
                > Although it doesn't make it very clear, the purpose of Tuesday event
                is to
                > explain the wind power legislation. It would expand Texas law
                requiring a
                > renewable component in electricity to the nation. Texas stands to
                profit
                > from it as a wind power exporter...

                Let me point out a problem here, I am only trying to clarify although
                the news is not encouraging. Texas lacks the physical capability to
                export significant amounts of power -- not through lack of generating
                capacity but through lack of inter-connection with other states. There
                are only a handful of connections that could every export to other
                states.

                This is by design, for better or worse (I don't know which) the system
                which administers the long distance wires in Texas (ERCOT, or Electric
                Reliability Council of Texas) *wants* Texas to be an island compared
                to other states. This dates back to thinking after the New York
                blackout in the 1960's, as I see it ERCOT feels it can be more
                reliable when nothing outside the state is of material effect.

                So before any significant power exports can benefit Texas, we have to
                have a revolutionary change in the thinking and operations of ERCOT.

                Glum news but hope it helps -- Mark J.
              • Christine Jerko
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                  Kevin,
                  Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will be
                  looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
                  proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
                  looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
                  Thanks,
                  Christine

                • Christine Jerko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                    Mike,
                    I really wanted to attend this meeting last night to find out more about
                    newable energy legislation, particulary in Texas. Was there any
                    documentation?
                    Thanks,
                    Christine Jerko

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                      Hi Christine, I wish I could, but policy is not my forte. Russel Smith in
                      Austin is the most knowledgeable person I know that might be able to help.
                      Hope this helps, good luck with your iniative! best Regards, Kevin

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                        The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
                        information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
                        renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
                        and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
                        standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
                        Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
                        such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
                        from Texas are on the conference committee.

                        Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
                        wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
                        the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
                        transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
                        That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
                        only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

                        After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
                        Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
                        the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
                        know that we support renewable energy!
                        www.ucsusa.org

                        Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002

                        Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002